Review of The Mystery of the Old Purse

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azuka Jessica
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of The Mystery of the Old Purse

Post by Azuka Jessica »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mystery of the Old Purse" by Richard Read.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

How true is it that a person begins to showcase early traits and behavioural signs of what they will be or want to be in the future? In the case of Calista and Skyler, I will say that it is true. However, we would not know if their behaviour was out of childish curiosity or in-built investigative behaviour. The Mystery of the Old Purse is a children’s book by Richard Read.

Calista and Skyler decided to take a shorter route to their homes to avoid an income storm. However, this shorter route is through a dangerous area called Creepy Hollow that their parents have restricted them from taking. The duo encounters lightning and thunder in Creepy Hollow. They also uncover the nefarious acts of some humans. Fortunately, they successfully left Creepy Hollow, but Calista found a purse at the park containing a large sum of money. In their quest to find the purse’s owner, the duo stumbles upon some criminals and some cases. Do you want to find out who they are? Do they find what they seek? Read this book to find out.

After reading this book, I pondered why the author wrote a book with this storyline for his daughter. I deduce that she probably wants to become a police officer or an officer of the law. The book provided a glossary that explains some vocabulary that will be challenging to the intended readers. The author also did well to ensure that the book contained pictures.

The book was very educational. It included a few teachings on the proper use of English pronouns and grammatical structure. The book also gave a well-detailed explanation of mushrooms, their types, and their nutritional values. I enjoyed the science experiments at the school laboratory, even though I’m not into science. It was thrilling, and I was awed to learn about the amount of sugar contained in a can of soda. It led me into deep reflection. I also enjoyed the bickering among the children in the class. It was hilarious. Another thing I enjoyed was Skyler. I loved his humour.

There is nothing to dislike about this book. It would teach children values like honesty, patience, carefulness, caution, and obedience, and they would learn from Calista’s bravery, transparency, and respect for her parents. These are virtues that all children and humans should have. The book was also exceptionally well-edited, as I encountered no errors while reading. Therefore, I give this book a perfect rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to children aged seven and above. Lovers of fictional stories and children’s books are also welcome to read this book.

The Mystery of the Old Purse
View: on Bookshelves
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

I love value-packed children's books. Honesty is a very vital attitude that needs to be inculcated in kids at a tender age. Reading your review was amazing I would love to find out how the duo dealt with the challenge.
Gabriele Mattia Leonardo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriele-mattia-leonardo.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Gabriele Mattia Leonardo »

The Mystery of the Old Purse by Richard Read is quite the exquisite read. It's feeled with suspense and thriller that can make you not to want to get your eyes off the book for a second.
Excel Chisom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-chisom.html
Latest Review: Becoming Athena by Katherine Lore

Post by Excel Chisom »

This book was quite amazing
I had fun reading it
Thank you for your honest review
Nicholas Bush
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholas-bush.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nicholas Bush »

I love your review for this book and i must admit that it is captivating to read. Would be nice to read this book someday. adding it to my bookshelf ASAP. Nice review.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I love your review, how you simple and easy to understand it is. The author is right; most children show what they will become in the future from their young age.
Excel Chisom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-chisom.html
Latest Review: Becoming Athena by Katherine Lore

Post by Excel Chisom »

Your review about this book makes it sound so exciting to read but again I don't think I would enjoy reading this book
Thank you for your honest review
Jesse Shon Voyamba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesse-shon-voyamba.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Jesse Shon Voyamba »

Children's book that has humor is something I would like to read and buy for my nephews and nieces to read. Your review presented the book in a good light.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

This would be quite an interesting read. Knowing that their parents had warned them about creepy hollow, Calista shouldn't have picked up that purse. I hope they make it out unscathed. Beautiful review.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

From your review, the book sure has an interesting plot and two interesting characters to read about. I enjoyed reading your review and I look forward to reading the book.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

The mystery of the old purse is really mysterious. I'm yet to feel the mysterious feeling from the review though. I guess getting a copy will satisfy my inquisitiveness. Thanks for the summary of the book. You have done well.
3mperor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3mperor.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by 3mperor »

I agree that kids begin to show slight characters of what they would be in the future from an early age. But it can be influenced by how they grow and how continuous they are. Amazing review!
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

Your review definitely captivated me. This looks like a book that has the perfect combination of horror, crime, thriller and so much more. I would love to try out this book. This is an amazing review.
Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egenti-ignatius-chimaobi.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi »

Any book that imparts values such as honesty, trust and love in children is a good book to me. If your review says so then I must get this book for myself to read. Good job on such a compelling review.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Uche Active »

This will be a very interesting book. I wonder what mystery the purse holds. This would be a book that every child will enjoy. I am looking forward to reading this book. Amazing review.

Return to “Children's Books”