Review of Imagine If...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Review of Imagine If...

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Imagine If..." by Sarah Box.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Dangerous stereotyping may seem fun and harmless until we become its victims. In Imagine If..., Sarah Box engages us with a series of soulful questions, reflections, and recollections on the many realities victims of dangerous stereotyping face, while at the same time inviting us to consider for a moment how we would react and feel if we were the victims of such.

I appreciate the awareness Box created through this book. Stereotyping, ethnic profiling, and the like are evils that should not have a place in our society. These wicked actions have forced many people into committing suicide, aborted countless visions, denied countless people the comfort of life, and disrupted the harmonious co-existence of human beings.

The author used the plight of African Americans in the United States during and after the abolition of slavery as a case study. While I appreciate the relevant laws and efforts that have uplifted the dignity of black lives, I couldn't help getting emotional when reading about the things African Americans passed through at the hands of their slave masters and how their children were forced into the same fate. It was a mixture of appreciation, pity, and anger.

This book leads the readers through the basics of life and living and shows how their absence makes life and living meaningless. For example, the condition of African Americans during the period of American history described in this book helped me appreciate the mental and health benefits of human communication and association. Social confinement is a death sentence.

This book is listed as a children's book, but the message it covers will appeal to adults as well. The illustrations are great and show in concrete form the situations described in the book. I am glad to note that this book was thoroughly edited. I didn't find any grammatical errors in it.

I rate this book five out of five stars because of the above positive points. I didn't dislike anything in this book, so there is no reason to rate it lower. Imagine If... is recommended for readers between seven and eighteen years old. It will also appeal to older readers, especially those who are interested in any measure that upholds the human dignity of all persons, irrespective of region or colour.

Imagine If...
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ummeismail Muhammad
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ummeismail Muhammad »

Just the perfect match for the rules of writing reviews I just finished reading.
It was a pleasure reading your review.
Edet Joy
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edet-joy.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Edet Joy »

Yes very true my best of the year
Chinemezu Okafor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

The fact that you didn't dislike anything in the book, shows that the book is really interesting. Nice review.
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

This is a great topic and we should take the time to consider what life is like in each other's shoes. This is a great review.

Return to “Children's Books”