Review of Mad Dog and Alizard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Review of Mad Dog and Alizard

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mad Dog and Alizard" by Carol Wyllie.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Mad Dog and Alizard: An Unlikely Friendship is a children's storybook written by Carol Wyllie and illustrated by Shannon Chavez-Ochoa. Mad Dog is a faithful guard, but his inability to associate with other dogs makes him sad and lonely. One day, he encounters Alizard under circumstances that seem to be a security threat. One thing leads to another, and they soon develop a never-anticipated closeness.

I was thrilled to know how the title of this storybook was crafted and subsequently impressed with the effort Wyllie and Chavez-Ochoa put into making it an interesting read. The narration is gripping and animated with alternating beautiful paintings.

It was great to read about how the author used two far-from-compatible animal characters, Mad Dog (a dog) and Alizard (a lizard), to pass important lessons about life and living. I also appreciated the role Zat Cat played in this story, and I look forward to finding out how she gets along with Mad Dog in the next publication, Mad Dog and Zat Cat.

There are a couple of positive values for children in this story. For example, they will learn to appreciate the beauty in diversity and the creativity in diverse opinions. They will appreciate the amazing personalities Mad Dog and Alizard grew to become.

I liked how the author used Zat Cat and Alizard to bring out the true character of Mad Dog. Mad Dog's initial hostility is understandable, and his kind and loyal dispositions are sincere. This storybook is thoroughly edited, as I did not find any grammatical errors in it.

I rate Mad Dog and Alizard: An Unlikely Friendship five out of five stars because of the above positive aspects. I didn't dislike anything in this book, and there is no reason to rate it lower. I recommend this storybook to readers between four and nine years old. They will enjoy the story and the beautiful paintings and will also learn the essential lessons they need to grow up with.

Mad Dog and Alizard
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Children's Books”