Review of Mindful Me Lifeskills Journal for Kids

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Mindful Me Lifeskills Journal for Kids

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mindful Me Lifeskills Journal for Kids" by Simone Derman.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I​t is no secret that today's parenting requires a completely different set of skills than were required by previous generations. Trying to turn children into confident adults is more difficult than ever. Social media has taken bullying to new heights. This book gives parents a way to give their children the tools they need to navigate their way through life. Because it is a self-driven vehicle, children will not immediately rebel against the plan. In the notes to parents, the author suggests letting children work at their own level. She calls the process a "journey of discovery."

A​lthough the cover of Mindful Me Life Skills Journal has a vintage feel, it contains up-to-date information that modern children can easily relate to. This statement appears at the bottom of the cover, "An empowering guide to teach kids coping strategies and life skills to conquer any obstacle with confidence." It is noteworthy that the author's name does not appear on the cover or the title page. However, Simone Derman is the founder of My Mindful Company, which is shown as the publisher. The last page of the book is a dedication page "from Mom to all my boys." I found this to be a touching way to end the book.

T​here are 171 pages broken into 35 chapters. The graphics and language should appeal to elementary students. The only negative I see is that the blanks in the journal are too small for the handwriting skills of the recommended ages. Likewise, on a page where they are asked to draw a picture, there is only an area of approximately a five-inch square box.

My favorite part is that m​any of the chapter titles display creativity such as "Diva Time' and "The Feel Wheel." Other titles are more straightforward such as "Resilience: How to Keep Going" and "Managing Feelings." The few story episodes are appropriately theme related. I also like the bountiful graphics and illustrations which give the book a happy feel.

I​ recommend Mindful Me to parents whose children are trying to find their niche. I also recommend this to elementary school guidance counselors to be used as a workbook for weekly sessions with struggling students. I​ found no reason for any star deductions, so my rating is five out of five stars. The title page has a lovely alliteration that states, "For Cool, Calm, Confident Kids." What more could a parent want?

Mindful Me Lifeskills Journal for Kids
View: on Bookshelves
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

Raising kids as a parent is one of the most underrated jobs. In this era, children require different raising techniques that suit them. All parents try their best. There is no procedure manual for parenting, and this is the best book for parents and kids.
Duong2418
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Duong2418 »

the book is an interesting experience, helping people have a broader view of how to educate their children, and having the right education is the best way for parents to raise their children
Sinalo Yokwe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sinalo Yokwe »

This book is very us
efull to children with their parens.I recommend Mindfull me to parents whose children are struggling to find t their destiny
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Parenting is one sensitive issue I take very serious. I guess I’ll need to get this book for myself. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Children's Books”