Review of The Good and the Bad Witch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Review of The Good and the Bad Witch

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Good and the Bad Witch" by Gloria Maya.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Good and the Bad Witch is a children's story written by Gloria Maya. The story revolves around two little witches, Briella and Abigail, who live in big castles in a forest. The two witches have marked personal and material differences. How do these translate to shaping their nature and mode of operation?

This is a simple, short story that can be read within a few minutes, and I liked that. A children's story should be a quick and didactic read so that children won't get bored.

The characters are just two. Again, I liked that. Children won't have to worry about having to memorise a long list of characters. The illustrations are okay and are the major thing that might keep children around till the end of the story.

However, I have some issues with this book. The narration is slack and lacks direction, zigzagging till the end without clear-cut thematic preoccupations. I finished this book, unsure of what to make of it.

In addition, the story did not cover some of the things highlighted in the book's description. For example, I didn't read about Briella and Abigail reconciling. There was no dispute in the first place.

Again, the character development is very poor. There was no personal or moral background in the story under which readers could declare any of the characters good or bad.

Furthermore, this book needs to be properly edited. Some areas require short, vivid sentences, and some areas need correct punctuation marks. I found some grammatical errors in this book, which I didn't expect given that it is a very short read. It won't take much effort to give it a thorough edit.

I rate this storybook two out of five stars. It lost some stars because of the aforementioned negative concerns. However, this book has some positive sides, so I can't rate it lower. I recommend this book to readers between three and nine years old.

The author has a great story idea. It just needs proper organisation, realistic character development, thorough editing, and fluid narration, among others. I believe this book will receive a perfect rating once these issues are addressed.

The Good and the Bad Witch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Avery Jackson 2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Avery Jackson 2 »

This is a really good book and I would rate it a 10-10 because it’s a really good children’s book! I read this book to my kids and they love it! We borrowed it from the library and they told me that they want me to buy it so I did and I read it to them every night before bed :)!

Return to “Children's Books”