Review of Alfie's Attack! The Story of a Fish with Asthma

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Review of Alfie's Attack! The Story of a Fish with Asthma

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Alfie's Attack! The Story of a Fish with Asthma" by David Bohline.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Alfie’s Attack! The Story of a Fish with Asthma by David Bohline is a children’s picture book about a fish with asthma. Alfonso Fish, or Alfie, is the star athlete out of his peers. He’s always the fish that wins the races. He seems so smooth and confident when he wins. Little do the other fish know, he’s not always so confident. Sometimes he is scared because of a disease he has called asthma. How does having asthma affect him when he has an unplanned encounter with a deadly shark? You’ll have to read this book to find out.

Not only does this book contain a story about Alfie and his asthma, but it also has factual information about asthma and suggestions for parents. This information is helpful and accurate. I am a pediatric resident physician. The information in the book matches a lot of the information that I give to patients and their parents in my clinics. I appreciate that the author took the time to research this information and work with professionals who could help him.

The illustrations are also excellent. Kelly Hawkins was a high school senior when she provided the images for the book. She then went on to pursue degrees in fine arts and design. I think she deserves recognition for these creations. They contain a lot of detail and tell the story beautifully. They captured my attention while reading, and I’m sure they will capture the eyes of children as well.

Unfortunately, there are also a couple of negative aspects. The first is that the rhythm and rhyming pattern aren’t consistent. This makes reading the book out loud challenging and awkward. The second is that the formatting is also inconsistent. I read this book on the Kindle app. Depending on the device used, sometimes one page appears at a time, and sometimes up to three pages appear. On my phone, I could fix this by turning it sideways. On the computer, I wasn’t able to resolve the issue. Part of the issue is due to the use of unnecessary section headings throughout the book. The book is not long enough to require headings.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. It is a lovely book with great teaching points about asthma. The book only has two very minor errors. Based on this, I would say that it is professionally edited. Unfortunately, the issues mentioned above did detract from my overall enjoyment of the book, so I had to take off one star. However, I couldn’t justify a lower score because the positives outweigh the negatives. I would recommend this book to children with asthma and the parents of those children. It could also be a useful tool to use in elementary school classrooms, especially if any of the students have asthma.

Alfie's Attack! The Story of a Fish with Asthma
View: on Bookshelves
Vanessa Joraur
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Vanessa Joraur »

The book does sound like a good book , it would be a great book for those with asthma and for other younger students to learn about asthma and what they could do . This book could be a great tool for those who has asthma and want to see what other kids with asthma could/have done . Even though there are some issues in the book , it could be edited . I would give this book a 4.5 out of 5 stars .
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

What a wonderful concept! As a fellow asthma sufferer, I struggled as a child and often felt extremely anxious because of it. I love that there is a book explaining to children that suffer that they are not alone. It also serves to educate their friends and peers to handle the situation if someone has an asthma attack.

Return to “Children's Books”