Review of The Littlest Soul

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Review of The Littlest Soul

Post by Sou Hi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Littlest Soul" by George Schwimmer, Ph.D..]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Littlest Soul is not an important or special existence. It is neither male nor female, and it can be both. It speaks rudely like a rebellious teenager, and it's not very fond of studying. Not to mention, it is quite lazy. For fourteen billion years, it has never once visited Earth to see God's creations. Is this why He wants to make it go to Earth? How can it cope with being a mortal? What will it learn during its journeys? What will it become in the end? If you are interested, let us join our protagonist in The Littlest Soul: a children's story for grownups too by George Schwimmer.

I love the discussions between God and The Littlest Soul. They can be very childish even when they discuss serious things. Just like how a brat talks to their parent, our main character converses with God casually and unruly. Despite that, His words are always filled with love and indulgence. For example, when The Littlest Soul exclaims that God doesn't have a kite, He immediately surrounds them with various kinds of kites. Sometimes, He mimics our main character's sulking tone, and He also jokes. As a spoiler, He admits that not even He can understand how a cat's mind works.

Nonetheless, we will learn a lot from the protagonist's experiences. For instance, a woman doesn't belong to anyone but herself. Another example is that a plant is not inferior to humankind, the race that is supposed to be the strongest and wisest. Plants help us just like we help them. A symbiotic world is exactly what God had in mind when He created our Earth.

The only complaint I have is that the copy needs another round of proofreading. I found around ten errors in a copy that has only 70 pages. After this issue is fixed, this will be a perfect book.

Since the grammatical errors were mainly missing punctuation marks, they didn't greatly affect my enjoyment. Thus, I'm happy to rate this novel 5 out of 5 stars. Although the plot focuses on the main character's conversations with God, I don't think it's religious. People of all religions can understand the plot with ease. Both children and adults, who are interested in a heartwarming story that addresses mundane lives, will love it. However, because of the short length of the novel, you may feel that it ends a bit too soon.

The Littlest Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

God is always helpful, as mentioned here. I assume that this novel explores an area of great patience. We are all “The Littlest Soul.”
Monale Bariyima Ueh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monale-bariyima-ueh.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Monale Bariyima Ueh »

I think the presence of that many errors means it was not properly edited. However, the plot is unusual and seems interesting. I think we can relate to being the littlest soul sometimes and parents can relate to God in this instance.
Ebele Ekelobi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

I've always loved concise and straight-to-the-point stories. This seems like a good one. Beautiful review.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I like books that involve the teachings of God. Especially, since this book is short, I think I will read it in one setting. From what you've learned from the protagonist, this book looks like a reminder to mankind. I like your review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Children's Books”