Review of The Adventures of Pajama Mike and the Mysterious House of Mirrors

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PinkRose572
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chika-oroke.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of The Adventures of Pajama Mike and the Mysterious House of Mirrors

Post by PinkRose572 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventures of Pajama Mike and the Mysterious House of Mirrors" by Michael Ramalho.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Six children of different nationalities are trapped in a strange glass house and have only a limited time to free themselves or remain captives forever. A boy named Pajama Mike comes to their rescue, but he can be of little or no help unless the children agree to work together. Now, they will have to choose between coming together to figure out a way forward and remaining captives forever.

I like it when I pick up books that address real societal issues from a neutral standpoint, and this is what endears this story to me the most. Some parents have been busy "infecting" their children with self-generated hatred and gender bias, which are dangerous threats to raising "sane" citizens of any nation. The good news is that Michael Ramalho has put forward a literary work that opens the minds of people, especially children, to how deeply we owe our survival to one another.

Also, I admired how Ramalho captured the readers' attention with a well-crafted conversation between Mike and Marvin and sustained the same with vivid, intriguing word choices and mesmerising illustrations. I kept yearning for more as I followed the suggestions the children put forward to remedy their situation until I devoured the last page.

Furthermore, the story presents children with characters of different nationalities, enabling them to connect with such beautiful, amazing souls as Macro (an Italian), Zahra (an African-American), Lei (a Japanese), Tom (an American), and Juan, whose race, skin colour, or gender should not be of any negative concern whatsoever. This book is an "orientation camp," and I salute Ramalho for such exceptional initiative!

In addition, this book was given exceptional editing, as I didn't find any grammatical errors in it. More so, I didn't come across any negative aspects while reading the book. However, I suggest the author include the nationality of the character Juan as well.

I rate this book five out of five stars because of the aforementioned positive points, and there is no reason to rate it lower. I am pleased to recommend The Adventures of Pajama Mike and the Mysterious House of Mirrors to readers aged three to eleven, and I hope that after reading this story, they will be able to look beyond their "reflections" and appreciate the beauty and strengths of human diversity. Adult readers will also enjoy this story because the themes explored in it cut across people of all ages.

The Adventures of Pajama Mike and the Mysterious House of Mirrors
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Brian Brown 3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Brian Brown 3 »

rate this book five out of five stars because of the aforementioned positive points, and there is no reason to rate it lower. I am pleased to recommend The Adventures of Pajama Mike and the Mysterious House of Mirrors to readers aged three to eleven, and I hope that after reading this story, they will be able to look beyond their "reflections" and appreciate the beauty and strengths of human diversity. Adult readers will also enjoy this story because the themes explored in it cut across people of all ages.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This book seems to address a core issue in the world today. Everyone wants problems solved, but it is impossible for them to work with those different than themselves. Teaching diversity starts with the young.
Kaleb Jay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kaleb Jay »

This book seems to address a core issue in the world today. Everyone wants problems solved, but it is impossible for them to work with those different than themselves. Teaching diversity starts with the young people
Opara Jerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opara-jerry.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Opara Jerry »

my name is mike so it's nice to see my namesake in this book. I think that this is a very refreshing storyline. having kids stuck in a glass house makes me wonder how they got there in the first place and if they will ever escape. i sure hope they find their way back home.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

It is good to teach children about working together at a young age. This is because society has raised children who think they can solve problems independently. I'd love to have my children read such a book.

Return to “Children's Books”