Review of Legend of the Dewberry Harvester

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Legend of the Dewberry Harvester

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Legend of the Dewberry Harvester" by Jan Ezelle.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Brewnie, a young insect, must learn to face his fears after escaping a dangerous encounter. But facing your fears is no easy task when the world around you is full of bigger insects and scary creatures. Can he overcome?

Find out in Legend of the Dewberry Harvester by Jan Ezelle. In this delightful children's chapter book, young readers will have the opportunity to explore the world of insects and learn many valuable lessons. I loved how the author personified the insects and made Brewnie's fears relatable and realistic. Confronting various species of insects forced him outside of his comfort zone to face his fears. With each encounter, the reader learns a few scientific terms and facts about a new insect as Brewnie interacts with them. I also loved how Brewnie learned to think through problems, communicate with others, and take action as the book progressed.

While the book felt a bit slow initially, it quickly picked up pace as Brewnie discovered the world around him. I particularly enjoyed the action-packed final chapters as Brewnie and his new friends confronted the dreaded encounter. The end of the dispute had a surprising twist, and I was happy with how things turned out. Since the book includes higher-level technical terms and discusses some of the deadly dangers that befall insects, this book would be best for advanced elementary readers and middle graders.

There was nothing that I disliked about this well-edited book. The colorful illustrations in various chapters added joy to the reading as the anthropomorphic critters made me smile and revealed some of the unique creatures Brewnie encountered. Therefore, I give Legend of the Dewberry Harvester five out of five stars.

As I mentioned before, this book would be best suited for advanced young readers and middle graders but may be enjoyable as a read-aloud chapter book for adults and their children. The book includes upper-level vocabulary and some hard-to-pronounce words, but the characters help Brewnie say them correctly and understand what they mean. Some violent elements include the discussion of carnivorous plants and the methods other insects use to attract and kill. I don't think this will be a problem if the young reader is already streaming nature programs or watching videos on the internet. This PG-level content shouldn't be a problem if the young reader is already streaming nature programs or watching similar videos on the internet.

Legend of the Dewberry Harvester
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Opara Jerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opara-jerry.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Opara Jerry »

This will certainly help kids who have some fears like before scared of the dark or staying alone in a room. I’d definitely recommend this but I still feel like the kids shouldn’t read this on their own. Nice review. Keep it up.
Nasish
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nasish »

This is so amazing... it's going to help kids in many ways like gaining courage
Keep it up darling
Ronette Denise Castro

Post by Ronette Denise Castro »

Legend of the Dewberry Harvester by Jan Ezelle is a must-read for any child that loves nature. The descriptive narrative brings to life the forest and the many creatures that live there. I loved the character of Brewnie; his development throughout the story was perfect as he was forced to face his fears. The characters are created with such detail, especially wise old Ms. Beatle and the bloodthirsty Black Widow, who all teach Brewnie important life lessons. I thought these powerful messages in the story would make terrific discussion points for parents and children. I believe any reader would learn so much about friendship, honesty, and trust while reading this book. I also thought tackling the subject of facing your fears and learning to work together as a team is a beneficial lesson for children to learn. I would love to see this book in school libraries in the future.
Eunice Okoth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Eunice Okoth »

This will help many children on how to become brave and not let scary things rule them because I think that over 83%will benefit from the book physically.
Eunice Okoth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Eunice Okoth »

This will help many children on how to become brave and not let scary things rule them because I think that over 83%will benefit from the book physically.
warrendismak
Currently Reading:

Post by warrendismak »

In my opinion, no one should be afraid of Taziki, but if someone is like this, she should read this book, maybe she can calm herself down.
warrendismak
Currently Reading:

Post by warrendismak »

In my opinion, no one should be afraid of Taziki, but if someone is like this, she should read this book, maybe she can calm herself down.
baran rahmati

Post by baran rahmati »

This will certainly help kids who have some fears like before scared of the dark or staying alone in a room. I’d definitely recommend this but I still feel like the kids shouldn’t read this on their own. Nice review. Keep it up.

Return to “Children's Books”