Review of Eddie the Elephant’s Magical Ear

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Review of Eddie the Elephant’s Magical Ear

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Eddie the Elephant’s Magical Ear" by Suzanne Picerno, MA,MBA.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

It has been a difficult moment for Eddie the Elephant. He has become deaf following the loss of his ear, but the problem is that he cannot figure out how that happened or locate the missing ear. Amidst the frustrations occasioned by this condition, he encounters a spider, and a series of revelations unfold.

Eddie the Elephant's Magical Ear is a children's story written by Suzanne Picerno, MA, MBA. The author did a great job of exploring in this story the medical condition of hearing loss and its attendant physical and psychological implications. The information shared in this story should help the patients better understand and manage their condition.

While the information in this story will benefit both children and adults, I was impressed that this story was tailored to offer children more knowledge and support on how to manage this medical condition. This is a great initiative; we will better appreciate it when we consider the implications of the report showing that about 32 million children globally suffer from hearing loss.

The word choices made in this story were simple. This should make it easier for children to comprehend the story and its thematic preoccupations. Moreso, I was impressed by the rhythmic word choices. Most of the story was presented in couplets, and the musical effects were truly soothing and entertaining.

I think the mode of encounter and conversation between Eddie and the spider were strategic and fruitful. As they follow the conversation, children will get to learn about the possible causes of hearing loss, medical gadgets to manage the condition, and the relevance of support systems. The story was illustrated by the author and M. Waseem, and they did a great job there. The painting will help children better understand the story and the message passed through it.

This book was thoroughly edited, and there were no grammatical errors in it. Based on the aforementioned positive aspects, I am delighted to rate this book five out of five stars. I didn't dislike anything in it, so there is no reason to rate it lower. I recommend this book to those who are suffering from hearing loss. I believe they will find a couple of things in this story helpful.

Eddie the Elephant’s Magical Ear
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

32 million kids suffering from hearing loss? That's a lot, I had no idea. It's a good idea to address this topic, explaining possible causes and offering more knowledge in general.
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

A BOOK BY SUZANNE PICERNO THAT TELLS THE STORY OF EDDIE THE ELEPHANT WHO BECAME DEAF MUTE AT THE LOSS OF HIS EAR, HIS MEETING WITH A SPIDER, THE MEDICAL CONDITION OF HEARING LOSS AND ITS PHYSICAL IMPLICATIONS.
A BOOK FOR CHILDREN AND THOSE WITH HEARING LOSS.GOOD REVIEW
Chrystal Paris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-paris.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Chrystal Paris »

I have met a few deaf children in my life and believe me, it's not fun at all.
I love that this book brings the situation to the limelight. I hope to read it soon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

This story reminds us how lucky we hear everything around us now. The story also depicts kindness from the character of the itsy-bitsy spider, who helps Eddie weave his lost ear. This story shows how important the sense of hearing could be. Congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing and interesting children's book highlighting the medical condition of hearing loss and its physical and psychological implications. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The story interests me mainly due to the characterization of Eddie, and how he approached losing an ear.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 85396
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1297%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book 📚 of the day BOTD is children's genre and a best selling book about Eddie the elephant who lost his earing his world was turned upside down.. the book was well written and reviewed I will recommend it to to both adults and kids
Vijay Kumar 13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Vijay Kumar 13 »

"Eddie the Elephant's Magical Ear" is a helpful children's book about hearing loss. It has a fun story, easy words, and nice pictures. I recommend it to kids with hearing problems. 5 stars!
Sheen Jenny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Sheen Jenny »

I love this review. this heartwarming children's story beautifully tackles the challenges of hearing loss with simplicity and grace. It's a valuable resource that will surely provide comfort and understanding to both children and adults facing similar circumstances."
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Bombasticsideeye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-bereebera.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher

Post by Bombasticsideeye »

I love an educative book that is fun. The topic of hearing loss is a rare one that everyone needs to know about. I am glad this book is suitable for all ages. Thanks for the free book.
SamSamz
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by SamSamz »

This is a heartwarming book that sheds light on hearing difficulties in a relatable way. The story beautifully teaches children about empathy and inclusivity. A very wonderful resource for promoting understanding and acceptance.
Last edited by SamSamz on 06 Jun 2023, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
Rose Nafula Oketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-nafula-oketch.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Rose Nafula Oketch »

Hearing is one of the most important senses in human life, of which children should be aware while they are still young so that they can manage and protect themselves from dangers and injuries that can result in its loss. Eddie the Elephant's Magical Ear by Suzanne Picerno is a children's book exhibiting how difficult it is to survive without this sense. We should be kind to those suffering from hearing loss like how the Spider helps Eddie. Great review! Congratulations on BOTD!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Why in the World Are We Here?
Bookshelf Size: 2400
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

It's quite a specific topic, but an important one. I'm sure kids who have hearing difficulties will be glad to feel represented. It might even be a soothing book for someone who's just presenting this kind of medical issue. And we could all benefit from learning more about hearing loss and how to be more empathetic and helpful.
Great review!
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

I appreciated the book for the message it delivers to children with hearing disabilities. It is also valuable for individuals dealing with such children. Congratulation to the author for the BOTD!
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein

Return to “Children's Books”