Review of Eddie the Elephant’s Magical Ear

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Review of Eddie the Elephant’s Magical Ear

Post by Amy Luman »

Most children don't know how to help another with this kind of situation. Maybe this book can help. Congratulations on BOTD!
Bethany Kroeger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethany-kroeger.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Bethany Kroeger »

What a creative way to relate to kids with hearing loss and educate those on how to treat them! Eddie seems like an endearing elephant and I feel many kids will connect to him. Great review!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A good educative book "Eddie the Elephant’s Magical Ear" by Suzanne Picerno, MA,MBA, which follows an elephant having listening difficulties due one ear not functioning. A good book for children.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Ajiferuke Ajibola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajiferuke-ajibola.html
Latest Review: The Prison of Power by G Michael Smith

Post by Ajiferuke Ajibola »

It's amazing how a story of an elephant with hearing loss and a kind spider can impact the lives of humans of all ages. Creative work. Good review.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I didn’t know that there were 34 million kids suffering from hearing loss. Anyway, this book is ideal reading for kids. They will surely love the illustrations.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Hearing loss is a very scary medical condition. I like to see such a serious subject discussed in a children's book. Congrats!
Ivana_5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ivana_5 »

When we los a part of body is defficult for everyone. This story is a Elephant why los a ear 👂 and he is very sad. Magic ear is a way why helpp Elephant to resolve problems and aseppted hirself. More children have problem with los a hiring. This tach story learn us how parents understand your children why don't hiring good. I recommend to read emotional and education story which telling us that must aseppted yourself what ever we are.
Carly Sprout
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-rose.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Carly Sprout »

I'm really disappointed after reading this book, especially because your review was overwhelmingly positive and gave it such a high rating. While it is commendable that "Eddie the Elephant's Magical Ear" addresses the important topic of hearing loss in a children's book, I believe there is room for improvement in the way this unique subject matter is approached.
I would recommend an edit where Eddie’s ear is not referred to as ‘broken’ or ‘lost’. These words could exacerbate negative emotions and potentially reinforce a sense of shame or inadequacy. Alternatively, a more empowering and person-centered approach to the language used may help promote inclusivity and reduce stigma – the expressed overall goal of publishing this book. Young readers should be encouraged to understand that while hearing loss may be a lifelong condition, it doesn't define a person's abilities or limit their potential. Those who experience hearing impairment challenges don't need to be 'fixed', they need adaptive strategies and support systems, along with adaptive devices such as the hearing aid we see in the book. I also noticed that some of the illustrations in appeared rushed or lacking attention to detail. Investing more time and effort into the illustrations would greatly contribute to the enjoyment of the reader.
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Olga Markova »

This is a brilliant review, I've read the whole book and I agree with the reviewer on all points. I too give it all stars. As with the reviewer, I agree with how important this book is considering the number of children who suffer from hearing loss. And, as with the reviewer, I liked the illustrations.
Eleni Antonopoulou
Currently Reading: Assassin's Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eleni-antonopoulou.html
Latest Review: Story, Story by Alicia Marsland

Post by Eleni Antonopoulou »

Thank you for this great review! I am excited to see how Eddie's encounter with the spider provides such helpful information regarding hearing loss! I love how the sentences rhyme as well!
When you can't beat the odds... Change the game. 🖤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
No mourners. No funerals. 💰 🗡️ 🎲 💣 🥞 🐺
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
SINGH JAY
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-singh-jay.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by SINGH JAY »

Congrats on BOTD!
The lesson of this tale is how fortunate we are to hear everything around us today. The spider, who assists Eddie in weaving his lost ear, is another example of benevolence in the story. The significance of hearing is demonstrated in this narrative. good review.
Jude Michael Uchechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Jude Michael Uchechukwu »

This is book Is pretty awesome due to the message it conveyes, our children will learn how to be careful when out there playing with their friends and also they will know the benefit of hearing and the consequences of not hearing anymore.... I also think this book should not be recommended for kids alone but also adults.
Victoria Chidimma
Currently Reading: Dandelion
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Victoria Chidimma »

Nice review. It's nice to see an educative book that focuses on children with hearing disabilities. And learning more about hearing loss was really helpful. I'm glad it's suitable for all ages.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

Great review on the book! I have been experiencing some hearing loss as I grow older and I know how frustrating that is for me. I cannot imagine how much total hearing loss effects people, especially children.
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I appreciate children's books with educational value. We need more books in our libraries that teach about medical needs and the benefits of devices. Hopefully educating them will prevent feelings of fear, ignorance, and bullying from other children. The book review was great.

Return to “Children's Books”