Review of Sun Needs a Holiday

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Review of Sun Needs a Holiday

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sun Needs a Holiday" by ZAINA LEE [DR ZEE].]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Raaji delights in playing pranks with any idea that pops into his head, and his parents, sister, and teacher have fallen for his tricks. Now, Raaji agrees to help Rayer the Sun bring to public notice his plight with a view to gaining proper terms of service. Raaji has been known to be unserious about many things. Who will believe the story of his encounter with Rayer the Sun now? Can any extra measure pave the way and get the issue at hand resolved?

I appreciate Zaina Lee for the awareness she created through this story about the amazing jobs the sun has been doing to keep the solar system and the biological and economic activities on planet Earth in order. This literary piece is certainly the product of deep reflection and creativity. The story sure gets one wondering about the many essential roles other natural bodies and elements play and how rarely, if ever, we recognise their priceless services.

Zaina did a great job tying the storyline together and throwing in some elements of humour and tension. This was largely achieved by first introducing Raaji's mischievous pranks and then introducing a matter of urgent attention, so urgent that if swift measures are not taken, certain courses of action may be taken, which may get everything and everyone frozen up! The word choices were appropriate and reflected the mood of each moment. The illustrations added some flavour to the narration.

However, I have to note some things I didn't find interesting in this book. The author didn't state any solid restrictions that prevented Rayer the Sun from going on holiday, and that should necessitate his seeking external assistance. Again, Raaji's dream about the consequences of Rayer the Sun going on strike is great, and I expected the author to leverage that and educate the young readers on the essential services rendered by the sun, but that didn't happen. In addition, I couldn't figure out what exactly Rayer the Sun needed to enable him to embark on a holiday; of course, I didn't see the media coverage serving that purpose.

Overall, this is a fun and insightful read. I consider the message in this story very relevant. It should lead children to ponder the wonderful benefits and services we enjoy from nature and natural resources. This knowledge, I expect, should inspire them to protect nature (by avoiding unnecessary exploitation of its resources) and as well contribute their part in making the world a better and more livable place.

Sun Needs a Holiday is a thoroughly edited children's storybook. I didn't find any grammatical errors in it. I rate this book four out of five stars. It lost a star because of the aforementioned negative concerns. However, I can't rate it lower given the positive aspects I pointed out. I recommend this book to readers between three and nine years old.

Sun Needs a Holiday
View: on Bookshelves
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

It's quite difficult to take a joker/prankster seriously. But I hope for this mission, people will realize Raaji's seriouness. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Children's Books”