Review of The Boy Who Turned Into A Butterfly...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of The Boy Who Turned Into A Butterfly...

Post by Jane Ogwang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Boy Who Turned Into A Butterfly..." by Mitchell Lee Mednick.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I could have given anything to have the things I imagined as a kid become real. My creativity and imagination in those days were crazy; having them come true would probably change the course of life as we know it. All kids share this imagination, creativity, and innocence. Imagine being able to morph into a butterfly and experiencing their lives in a fulfilling and prosperous nature for a while. For Richie, this wasn't just a creative thought; it became a reality.

Mitchell Lee Mednick tells the story of Richie's metamorphosis into a butterfly in his book, The Boy Who Turned Into A Butterfly. It starts in school with his teacher asking them to bring some animals into school the next day for a science project. They were to learn about the life cycles of different animals. While looking for a creature to bring to school, he meets the magic butterflies. His belief in magic helps him communicate with the magic butterflies, who offer to turn him into one of them. They then go on a fascinating adventure, meeting other creatures and making unorthodox friends. They go through moments of danger and learn quite a number of things about nature. Finally, Richie and his friends would return and, in a rare show of magic, reveal this exciting adventure to his teacher and the other students. This makes for a successful science project.

This is probably one of the best children's books I've ever read. It was so rich in creativity and imagination that it sometimes blew my head. Mitchell for sure placed no limits on his creativity while writing this book. He got into Richie's head and excellently delivered what would be in the heads of kids his age. The story is also quite unique. Most children's books would have animals able to speak and not address the anomaly in that. This book realizes how strange that is and weaves it smoothly and faultlessly with magic. I loved that everyone got surprised and doubtful when Richie told his story. They were then so perplexed when he proved his assertions.

The author's language was simple, friendly, and engaging. The conversations in the book made the book enjoyable, relatable, and easy to read. The illustrations were excellent. They were colorful and will be very useful for kids to build even better castles. The book is also informative and educative. Mitchell has included vital information on different species of animals, their characteristics, and life cycles. It seems like something he is really passionate about; nature and life cycles. I actually found no fault in this book.

I, therefore, gladly award this book a perfect rating of five out of five stars. I absolutely enjoyed reading it. It is excellently written and exceptionally well-edited. I'd recommend it to parents with children between the ages of seven and ten. This will surely thrill them, stretch their imagination, and teach them a thing or two about nature.

The Boy Who Turned Into A Butterfly...
View: on Bookshelves
AllTooWell
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alltoowell.html
Latest Review: Unlight by Chandra Shekhar

Post by AllTooWell »

Before even reading the review, I am already intrigued by this book based only on the title.
I would have loved to make everything I imagined into reality. I also love when children's books show great messages, lessons, or inspiring adventures for the little ones. I will definitely read this book.
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

This book will provoke the imagination of children who read it. Children's books should have information that will educate them and teach them lessons. Great review.
Mitchell Lee Mednick 1
In It Together VIP
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mitchell Lee Mednick 1 »

Thank you, I hope you enjoy the adventure.
iwanttobebetter2023
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iwanttobebetter2023.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by iwanttobebetter2023 »

I agree with you. There is nothing like a child's imagination. Thank you for your insightful review.

Return to “Children's Books”