Review of The Thing About Imaginary Friends...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bef Ozo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bef-ozo.html
Latest Review: Ditching Success? by Batoul I. Ajlouni

Review of The Thing About Imaginary Friends...

Post by Bef Ozo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Thing About Imaginary Friends..." by Julie Lomax.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Thing About Imaginary Friends... is a lovely children's book by Julie Lomax. A child named Melissa and her buddy Hersey were the subjects of this book. Small and black, Hersey was an ant. He first noticed Melissa while sitting on the fence and watching her play during recess at school. Hersey decided to write Melissa a letter, asking her to be her friend. Shortly after, Melissa read the note and carried Hersey home in her pocket. Hersey was able to share fascinating tales about how he came to be separated from his family, the experiences he had looking for them, and the intriguing people he also met while looking for them.

I thoroughly loved reading this book, and I do not doubt that any kid who picks it up would feel the same way. I was first interested in Melissa and Hersey's relationship because of how they met. As I continued to read, I came across more comedic characters. One of them was "Mr. Olive Frunch If You Please," who at first seemed quite dumb but eventually gave a lot of interesting information in the book. Because of the intriguing tales Hersey has to tell and how skillfully he tells them, each youngster who reads this book will wish he or she had a friend like Hersey. Julie did a fantastic job of including images to give readers a better feel of what some characters looked like.

There were many aspects of the book that I didn't like. Firstly, the pages weren't numbered, and I found a lot of grammatical errors and mistakes that made it challenging to comprehend the meaning of some sentences and phrases. The editing of this book was poor, and some headings encroached on other pages. The illustrations in this book are not artistic, and they can barely attract the attention of any child to this book. Finally, the author used some words that were difficult for the children to understand. I would have loved it if these words were defined for the children to understand.

I will be rating this book 3 out of 5 stars because of the dislikes listed above. I hope that this book is thoroughly edited before being put on the market. Anyway, I enjoyed reading it, and the author did a great job with the characters. I gained some new knowledge from reading the book.

I will barely recommend this book to anyone, but because it is both enjoyable and educational, I suggest it for kids between the ages of 6 and 12. The book's entertaining facts can teach children a lot. Grownups will have to guide children while they read this book because of some of the terms used.

The Thing About Imaginary Friends...
View: on Bookshelves
Charles Ashinze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-ashinze.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Charles Ashinze »

This has the potential of a great book if only the author can correct the issues you pointed out. I especially find errors annoying, a proper edit will take care of that. However I like the story of friendship potrayed in this book. I also like that it has a comedic aspect.
Michael Valentine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Pendulum Charts Contact Your Angelic Team by Raven Shamballa

Post by Michael Valentine »

I hope the author will look into the errors you encountered in this book. Overall, I think this I a great book. Thank you for your review.
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

Despite the errors you encountered, I might consider reading this book to my younger ones at home. Thanks for the honest review.
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

Even as an adult I am still interested in reading this book. I enjoyed reading your review, well done.
Clara Tom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clara-tom.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Clara Tom »

This book was lively and I really enjoyed how the author directed all the points in a way that the authors will understand easily. I hope to read this book soon as it was really enjoyable.
Naureen Rajput
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Naureen Rajput »

Firstly, i hope the author or who editing this book fixed all error and mistake.Secondly i was enjoyed to read and i was thinking what was the happening about the Melissa and Hersay relation. I wish as soon i was read the full book
Odichimma Okoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odichimma-okoye.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Odichimma Okoye »

Hersey was a literal ant? I find that funny for some reason. I would've loved to review this book, but the issues you mentioned were enough to change my mind. Hope the author's seen this and has begun correcting them though. Nice review by the way!
:D Hi! Thanks for stopping by to read my reviews. Leave a reply and let me see what you think about my reviews and the books I review. I'll be willing to take any corrections and grateful for any replies. Thanks! :tiphat:

Return to “Children's Books”