Review of The man and the Princess

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Review of The man and the Princess

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The man and the Princess" by D.I.Abattam.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

All people are different and unique in their way. Nobody should be ashamed of that; quite the opposite. Differences should be celebrated and appreciated because they are what make us special.

The Man and the Princess by D. I. Abattam is a children's story that follows two main characters, a man and a princess. They live in a kingdom that has somewhat unusual laws. In that kingdom, all men are bald, and any man with hair would be banished. However, the main character of this book, the unnamed man, is special precisely because he was born with hair. That's why he hides his whole life and suffers in isolation because of the fear that someone will see him. On the other hand, the princess of that kingdom has a similar problem, only that she was born without hair on her head. She also hides her whole life and suffers because of the fate that befell her. What will happen to the man with the hair and the bald princess? Read this book to find out.

First of all, the concept of this story is very unusual. I appreciate that the main characters are different from others and somehow struggle with their differences. This story very well mirrors and shows the actual situation in the world and the problems that many people often face. The author very skilfully explains that being different is not a negative thing and that we should be proud of it. Given that this is a children's book, this lesson is very well presented to children. The author likewise demonstrates a raw picture of the world we live in, where people often do not respect others. However, it is important to be aware of your own worth. This is visible primarily in the character of the princess. In addition, the book contains numerous illustrations that look as if children drew them. I genuinely enjoyed them because they gave the whole story a special touch of authenticity. Also, I have to praise the editor of the book because the book seems exceptionally well edited; I didn't encounter any errors.

As for some negative factors, there aren't many of them. However, there is one thing left unfinished and unexplained in the story, and that is why men are not allowed to have hair. I wish the author had given a concrete reason for this. Also, I would have liked the layout of pictures and text to have been better balanced.

Taking everything into account, I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. The rating is not perfect for the already mentioned reasons. I think that children who feel different but also rejected by their peers would like this book the most. I believe that this story can at least raise their confidence a little.

The man and the Princess
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

This is an interesting and a fascinating review. I loved how you captured every aspect of the book. I did enjoy reading your review. This is an interesting one.
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

This similarity between the main characters are intriguing which makes the book a good one. Thanks for an honest review.

Return to “Children's Books”