Review of Zero the Hero!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Review of Zero the Hero!

Post by E Daves »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Zero the Hero!" by Paul Gurgol.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Zero's favorite game is baseball, with a pitcher being his favorite position because he could naturally throw a baseball very fast. He wanted to learn how to curve a ball because older players did the same. He loved watching those balls curve. We follow Zero's journey, with the help of his coaches and teammates, as he learns these skills to become a better player.

From this book, readers will learn the different types of curveballs and how to perform them. This book is a sort of manual for making curveballs in baseball. The author was very detailed in explaining the different types of curveballs, including how to throw them.

Zero excelled in sports because he learned from his coaches and was observant. He first observed the curving technique when older kids were playing. Observation becomes an essential lesson in the book. Zero also values his friends and teammates. This is important as it helps them learn how to work together. This book will help you see why competition is important. Competition can be fun and is an excellent way to improve your skills. A loss does not mean that you are not a good player. You can always do better next time.

Another lesson worth taking from this book is that of selflessness and helping others out. No matter who the other person is, it is crucial to help a friend in need. You shouldn't hoard your skills only to yourself. I also love that the book was exceptionally well edited, as I encountered no errors while reading it.

As much as this book is interesting, with a lot of information and morals, I didn't like its font. The font is too tiny and unattractive for a children's book. Seeing that the book's target audience is kids, a bolder, kid-friendly font would have been better, even if it meant more pages. This negative aspect is serious, and I am rating the book 4 out of 5 stars because of it.

Zero the Hero!: Zero Helps a Curveball That Wouldn't Curve by Paul Gurgol is a perfect book for children who love sports, especially baseball. They will learn some tips on how to play the ball well and the importance of heeding the coach's instructions to learn the sport better. I will also recommend it to coaches who work with children. They can always refer to Zero as a model for the kids to learn the spirit of sportsmanship.

Zero the Hero!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
mustapha Muhammad 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mustapha-muhammad-2.html
Latest Review: Canaries Among Us by Kayla Taylor

Post by mustapha Muhammad 2 »

Wow so amazing book
emon williams
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by emon williams »

I enjoyed this book! I’m rating this book 5 out of 5 stars. “Zero the Hero”is a kid friendly book but not only that it is very interesting and not boring . Many young readers should enjoy reading and this book would be enjoyed!
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

This is an interesting and a fascinating review. I loved how you captured every aspect of the book. I did enjoy reading your review. This is an interesting one.
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

I rather read about sports than watch them. This is a nice review.
Victoria Warnick
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Victoria Warnick »

I like how the review explains what all you will learn in the book. I like that there is baseballs as well as freindship.
John Johnson 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-johnson-12.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by John Johnson 12 »

The illustrations are well done and add to the overall charm of the book. The book's illustrations are a great addition to the story and help bring it to life. The illustrations are colorful and engaging, and they help young readers visualize the different types of curveballs that Zero is learning to throw.
James Smith_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-smith-42.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by James Smith_ »

The lesson of selflessness and helping others is a great moral that children can take away from this book. I agree that the book's emphasis on teamwork and competition is an important message for children to learn.
Tony T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-t.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Tony T »

The book would have been better served with a bolder, more engaging font to keep young readers interested. I agree with the reviewer that the font could have been more kid-friendly. The book's editing is excellent.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

Despite the font issue, the book's content is informative and engaging. I appreciate the focus on learning from coaches and observing other players as a means of improving one's skills. The story's pacing is excellent, and the book never feels like it is dragging or losing momentum.
Victoria Ukamaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

The book's focus on sportsmanship and fair play is a great message for children to learn. I appreciate that the book does not shy away from the importance of competition in sports.
Shazyclaire Mark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shazyclaire-mark.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Shazyclaire Mark »

I appreciate the author's attention to detail when it comes to explaining the different types of curveballs in baseball. This book is not just a fun story, but also serves as a guide for children who are interested in learning the technical aspects of baseball. The author's explanations are clear and concise, making it easy for young readers to understand and apply what they learn.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: To God Be The Glory! We Must Never Give Up by Charles Wiley

Post by Salome Ogani »

The book's message of perseverance and the importance of not giving up when faced with challenges is a great one for children. The illustrations are well done and add to the overall charm of the book.
Rose Lineani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-lineani.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Rose Lineani »

Zero's journey to become a better player is inspiring and will motivate young readers to work hard and improve their skills. The book's title is catchy and will likely draw children's attention. The story is relatable and will resonate with children who are passionate about sports.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Post by Gavice Victoria »

Zero's journey to become a better player is inspiring and will motivate young readers to work hard and improve their skills. Children who love sports, especially baseball, will appreciate the main character's passion for the game and his determination to become better.

Return to “Children's Books”