Review of Chester the (almost) Pirate

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: One Foot Out of the Box by Vanessa Kristovich

Review of Chester the (almost) Pirate

Post by Hager Salem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chester the (almost) Pirate" by Ann P. Borrmann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Chester The (Almost) Pirate by Ann P. Borrmann tells the story of a little kid named Chester. He really wanted to be a pirate. He joined a class at Captain Grey-Fogg’s pirate school. He was excited on his first day. All the students were supposed to pick a mate for their journey. He was the last one to choose, and there weren't many options left. There was only a sea monster and an octopus. The sea monster was very big. So, Chester chose the octopus. His name was Roger. Roger helped Chester with his things, and they boarded the ship to start their journey. You can learn about their adventures with the pirate by picking up Chester The (Almost) Pirate.

What I enjoyed the most in this book were the amazing, colorful illustrations. They were perfect. The choice of colors is just beautiful, and the color mix is really catchy. I believe children would love to look at those illustrations. The story was nice and had some funny situations that would make you laugh. Also, there are some situations that can create fruitful discussions through the criticism of bad behaviors. In addition, there was a mention of many animal names and some vocabulary that I believe would be beneficial for the children to learn.

However, I have some comments I would like to share. The font used in the writing was too small compared to the size of the page. Reading it wasn't a comfortable experience. The bold parts were fine. I hope this can change in the coming versions. Also, I would have preferred criticizing the bad behaviors that were mentioned.

I rate this book four out of five stars. The story is entertaining and has beautiful illustrations. The font bothered me; this is why I couldn't give it a full rating.

The book was exceptionally well-edited. I recommend it to parents who would like to read a funny story to their children. They may also hold some discussions over it. 

Chester the (almost) Pirate
View: on Bookshelves
Jay_lopez1996
Currently Reading: Right Now Revelation
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Jay_lopez1996 »

i loved it and my 6 year old boy loves it even more :D
Ola-mind ojo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-mind-ojo.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ola-mind ojo »

The book is excellent and comes highly recommended for kids who want to learn more about animals and some useful words.
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

This plot is hilarious and well-suited for children. Thank you for your review.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

The review sounds like what young children would love to read. Kudos!

Return to “Children's Books”