Review of The Sissies Adventure Series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Review of The Sissies Adventure Series

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sissies Adventure Series" by Marisa Howard.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

There is nothing better than sibling love and having someone show you the ropes of life. In the amazing three-book box set by Marisa Howard, The Sissies Adventure Series, we follow the two sisters, where big sis shows her little sis all there is to do on their adventures together and have fun. The series consists of three short and fast-paced books full of beautiful, bold, and catching illustrations by Anyu Rouaux. These sisters have a strong bond, and they go on adventures to the sea, the mountains, and Mexico. These books are dedicated to the sweetest sissies, London and Marin.

When they are at the sea, big sis shows her little sis that they can collect sea shells and take them home as well. They can splash in the water, build sand castles, and even spend some time with their parents. We are reminded that we need to put on sunscreen to protect us against the hot sun. When they visit the mountains, the big sister shows her little sis that they can ride the gondola, go on hikes with their parents, and play and explore in the park. They always end the summer in the mountains with a ducky derby race, hoping they will win this time. While in Mexico, they get to wear sombreros, explore all the flora and fauna, and there is even an old iguana (that looked a little scared of the sissies). They get to eat quesadillas, and little sis doesn’t look too happy, but big sis quickly tells her that it is just like melted cheese in a tortilla.

These books just show how important it is to have someone you love and trust in your life. You get to share precious memories, strengthen your bond, and go on all kinds of adventures together. There are a few hidden lessons in these books, and they are very fast-paced. The illustrations are magnificently done, and the expressions she gave the little girls in their different activities made them even more precious to me. I could see my five-year-old son reacting similarly to the sissies, and I even saw his cat in the place of the iguana, and I believe she gives the same reaction to my son when he chases her. I know my son would love these books, and I would recommend them to parents with small children. They are enjoyable for adults as well, but they are definitely children’s books.

I would rate The Sissies Adventure Series by Marisa Howard a perfect 5 out of 5 stars. I didn’t notice any errors while reading, which proves that these books were professionally edited. I loved absolutely everything about these books, and there was no reason to deduct any stars. The illustrations always bring children’s books together for me, as that is ultimately what pulls the children to the books first, and these books were beautifully illustrated. The author also did an amazing job with the wording she used. It is perfectly suited for children from the ages of three and up to already understand them, which makes these books instantly relatable to them.

I enjoyed seeing the bond between each of the family members and how the books portrayed that family time is important, as well as having fun together. The big sister's role of looking out for her little sister and showing her what she can do also made me feel all fuzzy inside, as that is exactly how siblings should be. They should look out for each other. The different adventures were fun to read about and learn what they could do together at each place. This is perfect for children while on a trip somewhere to keep them occupied.

The Sissies Adventure Series
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
zynnyx_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zynnyx.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by zynnyx_ »

I love to see siblings bond. It's so refreshing, especially when there's a much older sibling and a younger one.
:D
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

The beach, the mountains, and Mexico are great settings for this sweet book, where an older sister guides her younger sister on adventures. It sounds delightful!
ViviVivid
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

Children should be taught the importance of family at a very young age and engaged in ways to build sibling bonds. Books like these can encourage them in a way they understand. Thanks for the review!
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

zynnyx_ wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 18:51 I love to see siblings bond. It's so refreshing, especially when there's a much older sibling and a younger one.
I agree with you and these books were so fun to read!
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Patty Allread wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 21:11 The beach, the mountains, and Mexico are great settings for this sweet book, where an older sister guides her younger sister on adventures. It sounds delightful!
The books were really great and definitely had learning curves in them as well.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

ViviVivid wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 07:34 Children should be taught the importance of family at a very young age and engaged in ways to build sibling bonds. Books like these can encourage them in a way they understand. Thanks for the review!
This month a lot of my focus is on how things that happen in our childhood have a lasting effect on us as adults, good and bad, and these books definitely show the good parts that we want to have lasting effects on us.

Return to “Children's Books”