Review of "Seeing Mommy All Day Long"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Review of "Seeing Mommy All Day Long"

Post by MsH2k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""Seeing Mommy All Day Long"" by Vincent A. Pendarvis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The adorable boy on the cover of this children’s book is Alex. He is the oldest of three siblings, and his mother is a single parent who relies on him to help with his brother and sister. His first day of third grade is today, and he is starting at a new school. Alex is nervous and wishes his mom could go with him, but she must go to work. So, after breakfast, a hug, and a kiss, she sends him off and gives him some motherly advice.

Seeing Mommy All Day Long by Vincent A. Pendarvis tells the story of Alex’s first day and the various people he encounters who, oddly, have the same advice for him as his mother gave that morning. The author presents an intentional statement by including only female adults in this book. In his bio, Pendarvis shared that his mother died when he was Alex’s age, but thankfully, his father provided him with a stable childhood. Because many fathers are absent in single-parent households, he deliberately excluded male figures from this story. I appreciated his disclosing that objective because the absence of an adult male was noticeable.

The illustrations by Hatice Bayramoglu made this read a delight. Every full-page drawing featured expressive young faces interacting respectfully with each other and often with adults. I especially liked the brightness and intelligence that shone in their eyes.

The pictures reinforced the courteous exchanges found throughout the story. For example, whenever Alex addressed a grown-up, he included “ma’am” in his response, a charming nod to this diminishing trend. And when he ran into a neighbor and her young children, he greeted the toddlers with the same warmth and respect that he gave the adult. I enjoyed absorbing the love and playfulness present in this community.

The only negative aspect of reading this well-edited book was the amount of text on several pages. The target audience spans a wide range. Although the protagonist is a third-grader, his younger siblings and neighbors could attract younger readers as well. It is a picture book but has text suitable for readers ages 7 through 9. The amount of wording on several pages was overwhelming: I noted five pages where text filled the entire side. Before reading those passages, I took a deep breath; I believe they would intimidate younger readers as well. I wondered if listening to those segments would be less overpowering, so I read one of the long pages aloud and recorded it. As I listened to my recording while viewing the corresponding illustration, it reinforced my initial impression. Interesting details added depth to Alex’s life, but it was too much to absorb at once. I would suggest paring down the story. Other instances of repetition, such as the number of people Alex encountered who echoed his mother’s advice, could also be revisited.

I rate Seeing Mommy All Day Long 4 out of 5 stars. Despite the occasional lengthy text and repetition, this adventure was a fun day with Alex and his friends, teachers, and neighbors. I recommend this book to anyone, especially readers ages 4 through 9, who would enjoy a well-mannered children’s story.

"Seeing Mommy All Day Long"
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

That sounds like a sweet, heart-warming story. I enjoy stories where children are kind and respectful to everyone around them. We need books like these to rekindle these slowly-diminishing values in our future generation. Your reviews are so enjoyable, Donna. Thank you.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

Your review is so nice to read and Alex sounds like a charming character. It's a relief that the reason for using adult females only was mentioned by the author.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Alex is a brave and polite kid. Even though his mom wasn't around at school, his doing well and was a good kid. This will be a good example to potential readers of this book. Your review is awesome, Donna!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Nisha DSouza wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 00:03 That sounds like a sweet, heart-warming story. I enjoy stories where children are kind and respectful to everyone around them. We need books like these to rekindle these slowly-diminishing values in our future generation. Your reviews are so enjoyable, Donna. Thank you.
It was delightful seeing the old-school manners on display in this story. :romance-heartsfade:
Thank you for your visit and your kind comment, Nisha.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Covenant Morolayo Olusegun wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 19:37 Your review is so nice to read and Alex sounds like a charming character. It's a relief that the reason for using adult females only was mentioned by the author.
I was going to mention something about not having any adult males in the story, but then I remembered the author's bio. It really helps to understand the story better when you have a glimpse of the author's motivation.
Thank you for your comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 23:27 Alex is a brave and polite kid. Even though his mom wasn't around at school, his doing well and was a good kid. This will be a good example to potential readers of this book. Your review is awesome, Donna!
Alex is indeed a polite and consciensious kid. He sounds like a loving big brother.
Thank you for your kind comment, Hazel! :wink:
Rosa Parks
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

It is refreshing to read a children's book that teaches manners. I also appreciate reflecting on the life of children under the care of a single parent. You analyzed the book perfectly. Thanks for this amazing review!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: Asylum by Susy Smith

Post by khaulah »

Children with single parent might relate to this book. Lots of text in a children's book sure is daunting. If it intimidates an adult, then it will be tough for the children. I absolutely loved the positive points you highlighted. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Latest Review: Asylum by Susy Smith
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 19:32 It is refreshing to read a children's book that teaches manners. I also appreciate reflecting on the life of children under the care of a single parent. You analyzed the book perfectly. Thanks for this amazing review!
Yes, Alex's good manners kept a smile on my face throughout this read. :D
Thank you for your kind comment!
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

khaulah wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 23:22 Children with single parent might relate to this book. Lots of text in a children's book sure is daunting. If it intimidates an adult, then it will be tough for the children. I absolutely loved the positive points you highlighted. Thanks for the wonderful review!
When I first get a children's book, I like to flip through it and see all of the illustrations. When I noticed those pages full of text, I wondered how that would go.

This is a sweet story, and I loved following Alex on his first day. Thank you for your visit and your comment, khaulah!
Rosa Parks
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

Mothers truly play an amazing role in children's lives. I like the cover page but I prefer a lot of illustrations in a book to text. Thanks for the review!
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

The beautiful pictured on the cover page is commending. The story line reminded me of my experience when i entered primary as a boarding students. In fact we share similar experiences. Than ks for the review.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

ElinaT wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 21:51 Mothers truly play an amazing role in children's lives. I like the cover page but I prefer a lot of illustrations in a book to text. Thanks for the review!
The illustrations were wonderful, but the amount of text did bog the story down in places. Thank you for your comment!
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Oluchi23 wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 07:35 The beautiful pictured on the cover page is commending. The story line reminded me of my experience when i entered primary as a boarding students. In fact we share similar experiences. Than ks for the review.
I'm glad this story brought back (hopefully happy :)) memories. Alex's impeccable manners made me enjoy this story even more.

Thank you for stopping by for a visit. I appreciate your comment.
Rosa Parks

Return to “Children's Books”