Review of Pebbles and the Biggest Number

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Review of Pebbles and the Biggest Number

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pebbles and the Biggest Number" by Joey Benun.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Pebbles is a butterfly who counts objects in his life every morning. He counts his eyes, his wings, his legs, and the flowers around him. He knows he can count higher than the 42 flowers around him, but how high could he count? He starts to wonder what the biggest number really is. He meets with some animal friends and asks each of them what is the biggest number they know. What does he find out? Check out Pebbles and the Biggest Number by Joey Benun to find out.

This book was really well written, edited, and illustrated. There were no grammatical errors, and the illustrations were vibrant and beautiful to look at. In addition to the core story of Pebbles searching for the biggest number, the author included many other interesting facts along the margins of the book. These facts were also given labels. Science spot facts gave information about the animals Pebbles was talking to. Number notes showed the number the animals were talking about using digits instead of written form. Plus, there were also other kinds of fun facts to keep the reader engaged. Benun must have done a ton of research to come up with all of these facts.

I thought these additions were lovely to the story, but sometimes it did seem like a lot. Almost every page has at least one extra fact, and some have as many as three. It almost bordered on taking away from the main story because it was so much extra information.

Despite the frequency of the facts, this book absolutely deserves 5 out of 5 stars. If the reader didn’t want to read all of the facts, it would be easy to skip over some or all of them without taking away from the story. I did not feel it was enough of a drawback to deduct a star. I read a lot of children’s books, but this one is one of the best that I’ve come across in a long time. It truly is an incredible kids' book!

I recommend this book to kids who are interested in math or counting. It would also be good for kids who are interested in animals or science. Pebbles and the Biggest Number is a book you do not want to miss!

Pebbles and the Biggest Number
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elin Laventure
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Elin Laventure »

Cute children’s book . I read it to my daughter several times a week . ❤️
ViviVivid
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

Seems like a book to teach children counting and about animals in an engaging way. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Children's Books”