Review of Curse of the Mummy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Review of Curse of the Mummy

Post by Shillah Andeso »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Curse of the Mummy" by Tracey C Ayres.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In the year 1356 in Egypt, robbers raid Pharaoh Akhenaten's tomb. The robbers are placed under a curse by the pharaoh's dead wife. She is, in turn, captured by the pharaoh's wife, who is alive. The story fast-forwards to where Emma, Ava, Joh, and Jack are at a museum. They are scheduled to visit the Ancient Egypt section temporarily loaned to Australia. In that section, they meet Kaya, a creepy-looking woman. Emma believes that this woman is up to no good. After they leave that section and come back, Kaya is nowhere to be seen. They are also told no one with that name works at the museum. Who is Kaya? What does she have to do with the museum? Reading Curse of the Mummy by Tracey C Ayres provides the link between the present, Ancient Egypt, and Kaya.

Curse of the Mummy begins on a high note. This is what I love most about the book. I was engulfed on the first page, eager to know more about the story. There is action throughout the book. Every scene presents a new case that needs to be solved. By reading this book, I learned a lot about Ancient Egypt. This ranges from traditions followed when burying the pharaoh to magic practiced in ancient times. I love how vivid the author is when explaining this story. The ending of the book perfectly fits the story. The element of surprise made the perfect ending.

The author did not leave out humor while writing this book. Even in the dark moments, Tracey ensured a light atmosphere. The characters are well described. It was easier to capture their names and distinct features. Her choice of characters is superb. Each with unique characteristics. Despite the positive aspects mentioned, this book contains some downsides. I noticed that at some point, the author was confused while describing a mythical creature. This altered the picture I had formed of this creature. This disrupted my reading of the book before I clarified it later on my own. Although small, this aspect highly influenced my reading.

I rate Curse of the Mummy 3 out of 5 stars. I have removed two stars from the rating due to two reasons. One is the negative aspect stated, while the other is the book's editing. I came across many errors while reading this book. This makes me believe that the book was poorly edited. It should be re-edited to eliminate some minor mistakes. Generally, I think the book has a well-developed plot. It is also captivating and engaging.

I recommend this book to everyone aged between 10 and 16 years. The book's main protagonist is a teenager, and it will be easy to relate to her. The length and the way the story is narrated are also other factors that make the book suitable for them. Those interested in magic will also find this book appealing.

Curse of the Mummy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ajibola Gabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajibola-gabriel.html
Latest Review: The Vitality System by Kyle Gonzalez

Post by Ajibola Gabriel »

I’m really not a fan of horror and this book seems scary. Although it is for young people, the summary sounds scary.
maisha ahmed
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by maisha ahmed »

I am fan of horror stories so I like it
maisha ahmed
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by maisha ahmed »

I am fan of horror stories so I like it
Veevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veevi.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Veevi »

This is a enlightening and intriguing review. It has captured my attention. I'd love to read this especially knowing I can learn about the Egyptians.
Aishwarya Sargar
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Aishwarya Sargar »

Its good book for those teen ager people who like adventure and horrer.
Its not that scary it's interesting
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

This book sounds interesting. I trust the children will enjoy this mystery-packed novel. Thanks for the review
Favour Alade Boluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riam333.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Favour Alade Boluwatife »

I haven't read any horror novels because I'm not a fan. Your review is though
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Shillah Andeso »

Ajibola Gabriel wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 00:20 I’m really not a fan of horror and this book seems scary. Although it is for young people, the summary sounds scary.
It is one that will have you longing for more. It also has aspects of humor and suspence. Some people love the thrill. I recommend trying it.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Shillah Andeso »

ElinaT wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 09:35 This book sounds interesting. I trust the children will enjoy this mystery-packed novel. Thanks for the review
It's a great book. I hope you also try it.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I think I'd like to find out who is Kaya and how she contributes to the magnificent storyline. You wrote a beautiful review, Shillah!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Children's Books”