Review of I Wish

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Review of I Wish

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Wish" by Taylor Crouch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Although we are all different, we are all special, unique, and equally valuable. These differences and sometimes imperfections make us exceptional, and we should never strive to be what we are not. This children's picture book does a great job of portraying that message.

I Wish by Taylor Crouch is a picture book that depicts many different animals. What all these animals have in common is that they want to be some other animal. Each page shows a different animal, such as a tiger, lion, owl, flamingo, and some others, and under each picture, that animal explains why it wants to be someone else.

The first and foremost thing I like about this book is its concept. The author wants to show that insecurities and various complexes are common, and everyone has them. However, it is necessary to accept them and understand that these seeming flaws and peculiarities are characteristics that make us extraordinary. I particularly appreciate how the author presented this idea through various animals. Most children love animals, especially wild animals. Every animal is unique and has strengths and weaknesses that make it what it is. Therefore, comparing certain animals and explaining which one is better or stronger makes no sense. The same applies to people, which the author successfully presents in this book. In addition, the entire book is beautifully illustrated with colorful and vibrant illustrations, which is just an added plus.

As for the negative elements, there aren't many of them. However, I would have liked the book to have been marked with page numbers. Also, the same grammatical error was constantly repeated in the text. I believe the book would benefit from thorough editing.

All things considered, I give the book 4 out of 5 stars. The rating is not perfect due to the noted reasons. However, I must stress that I enjoyed the book; its message is extremely important for young readers. I would recommend it mainly to children of kindergarten age because of the style and simplicity with which it is written. I would also advise parents with children struggling with insecurities or complexes to read this book with them.

I Wish
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Though the book is for children, the author's message applies to all ages. Why is it that we see every animal as beautiful but humans, do not always? This book sends a message that every creature is gorgeous in its way. I hope I can always apply the teachings of the book. Your review is amazing!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Ajibola Gabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajibola-gabriel.html
Latest Review: The Vitality System by Kyle Gonzalez

Post by Ajibola Gabriel »

I know kids will be intrigued by the pictures of the animals. And it sounds like a fun read also.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Kids need to be taught at an early age the importance of their uniqueness. Thanks for the review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Return to “Children's Books”