Review of The Hummingbird & The Narwhal

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Review of The Hummingbird & The Narwhal

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Hummingbird & The Narwhal" by Annie Higbee.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Sometimes friendships are found in the most unexpected places. The Hummingbird & the Narwhal by Annie Higbee is a children's book that shows this flawlessly.

The story follows a hummingbird and a narwhal who, apart from visible differences, have a lot in common. One day, by chance, these two animals meet. Strong winds pushed the hummingbird from her path to Maine. In all this disarray, she landed on a narwhal in the arctic, which at that moment came to the ocean's surface. He also accidentally deviated from his path and got separated from his family of narwhals, who usually migrate together. The animals became friends very quickly; they discovered how alike they were and realized how they could help each other.

First of all, I must commend the author and illustrator Annie Higbee on this wonderful children's story because it is one of the best I have read recently. The concept is very engaging; the author sends a message about the importance of kindness and friendship through an unusual selection of animals. I think that narwhals and hummingbirds are animals rarely seen in literature, particularly children's literature, which makes this book even more authentic and unique. In addition, I like the way the animals recognized their similarities and the ways they could help each other. Furthermore, the writing style seems proficient, experienced, and lyrical, and reading the author's perfectly assembled sentences is a real pleasure. Additionally, the illustrations throughout the book are truly gorgeous and complement the text very nicely. Most illustrations appear to be painted with crayons, but effortlessly, subtly, and delicately. The course of the story can be easily followed through the pictures. I would also like to stress that the editing quality seems exceptional, considering I did not encounter any errors.

There frankly isn't anything I didn't like about the book. Every aspect of the book has been executed with the utmost precision, and I have nothing negative to accentuate or criticize the author.

All things considered, I give this book 5 out of 5 stars. I don't have a single good reason to give it a lower rating because I enjoyed everything about it. I would recommend the book to everyone who likes fables, illustrated stories, and stories with important lessons. Although this is primarily a children's book, I think many adults will enjoy it, specifically because of its refined and skilled writing style. I would also suggest to all English teachers to include this book in their curriculum if possible.

The Hummingbird & The Narwhal
View: on Bookshelves
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I like your enthusiasm for this unique-sounding book! So unique, in fact, I had to look up what a narwhal is. The illustrations sound delightful.
Chinedum Chijioke
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Lead-Er-Ship by William Canary

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

Authors should continue to write books that encourage people to be kind like this one did. Thanks for the review.
Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie
Currently Reading: In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-kristine-dakoykoy-rennie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
Reading Device: B0BNMD3CFC

Post by Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie »

Your review of "The Hummingbird & the Narwhal" is incredibly detailed and glowing! It's clear that you found a lot to appreciate in both the storytelling and the visual elements of the book.
Kshitija Sonawane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kshitija-sonawane.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Kshitija Sonawane »

The reviewer is right. This is my first time hearing the word Narwhal and I know only minimal things about hummingbirds. In this age of competition and rat race for everything, it would indeed be beneficial if kids read books like these, which would encourage them to help each other excel. Trying to pull each other down will keep everyone down but if they try to uplift each other, they will reach new heights together. Congratulations to the author for BOTD and best wishes for future projects.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

'The Hummingbird & the Narwhal' by Annie Higbee is a heartwarming children's story about unexpected friendships and the beauty of similarities amidst differences. With enchanting illustrations and a lyrical narrative, this tale is perfect for teaching kids about kindness and cooperation. Congratulations on being BOTD!
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Kirsten Wheeler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsten-wheeler.html
Latest Review: The Great Migration by Steve Ramirez

Post by Kirsten Wheeler »

A really great review. I completely agree with you on the illustrations - they are magical. I love that you can see the canvas texture and the mixture of media - oil paint, charcoal, and crayons. The images are so engaging without being flashy and in-your-face.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

This book confirms there is beauty in everything and everyone. It's a powerful lesson for everyone to embrace, and what better to carry the message than through a thoughtful children’s book. Thank you for writing such an insightful review!
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Aang Krishna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ni-ketut-anggraeni.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Aang Krishna »

Thank you for absolutely detail & pleasant. The Book teks about wonderful friendship from the heart and makes differences something that strengthens their friendship even more. Nice lesson&congrats.
:techie-studying gray: keep reading book and always happy
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

This story has as protagonists a hummingbird and a narwhal. It sends a message about the importance of kindness and friendship. The writing style is an attractive feature in this work. It is aimed at anyone who likes fables, illustrated stories and stories with important lessons, especially children.
Rahul Singh 29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahul-singh-29.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 31%

Post by Rahul Singh 29 »

The book shows us that friendship transcends the boundaries of space and time, and that we can find true companions in the most unlikely places. The hummingbird and the narwhal are both creatures of flight, but in different mediums. They share a common spirit of adventure and curiosity, but also face different challenges and dangers. They teach us that we can learn from each other's experiences and perspectives, and that we can help each other grow and overcome our fears. The book also shows us that friendship is not limited by distance or separation, but rather by the strength of our bonds and memories. The hummingbird and the narwhal may not see each other again, but they will always remember and cherish their time together. The book reminds us that friendship is a precious gift that we should treasure and nurture, and that we should always be open to new and unexpected connections. Thanks for sharing this nice review. Congrats on #BOTD!
Life is a play where we are the actors and the audience, We laugh and cry, love and hate, create and destroy,
We seek to know ourselves and others, to belong and to be free, We accept what we can and change what we must.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

I love this books ideology and also the fact that the author was able to use such a wonderful story to depict the relationship between a Narwhal and Humming bird. Congrats on BOTD.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Anti-Diet Approach
Bookshelf Size: 2396
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

What a wonderful premise! I hope kids and adults alike can learn to embrace the differences and realize that we are all much more alike than it seems. The illustrations seem fabulous, too. Thank you!
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83192
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1077%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

The book teaches about friendship, kindness how it can be found in an expected places two critters who looked similar but are from different word that ended up building friendship and love and kindness such a nice story I will recommend it 💯☑️
Sakshi A Soni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakshi-a-soni.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Sakshi A Soni »

Thank you so much for your heartfelt and positive review of "The Hummingbird & the Narwhal" by Annie Higbee. I'm delighted to hear that you found the concept engaging and appreciated the author's message about the importance of kindness and friendship, conveyed through the unique choice of animals. It's wonderful to know that you enjoyed the proficiency, experience, and lyrical quality of the writing style, finding it to be a real pleasure to read. I'm glad the illustrations complemented the text nicely, and your recognition of the exceptional editing quality is greatly appreciated. Your 5-star rating and recommendation to a wide audience, including English teachers, are truly valued. Thanks again for taking the time to share your positive experience with the book. Happy reading!

Return to “Children's Books”