Review of The Things We Fear As Children

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: The Big Necesscaries by Beth Weiler

Review of The Things We Fear As Children

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Things We Fear As Children" by Peter Harrison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Peter Harrison's The Things We Feared as Children is a book for children. The main character of this book is a young boy who, without his mother's assistance, faces a variety of fears while trying to fall asleep. Do you think he has the courage to confront them by himself?

The artwork in this book was created to emphasize the content. In this book, we see a young boy's efforts to conquer his fears and fall asleep. It shows all of the things the boy can do to make his room less upsetting. Children's normal responses to their fears are not depicted in this book, but the fears themselves are. The author may have done this on purpose in an attempt to make the boy appear brave.

When the book was depicting the fears, the illustrations emphasized them. When it wasn't depicting the fears, the illustrations were bright and cheery. This book piqued my interest because I feel like it will help my son when he is dealing with his fears. The author's handling of those fears and the way he transformed them into fond recollections are also noteworthy.

I just have a few concerns about this book. A more legible font in the eBook would have been incredibly helpful for me because I had a hard time reading the letters. The eBook was difficult to navigate for me as well. I had to work very hard for the eBook not to jump forward or backward by about four pages. Perhaps the problem was unique to my eBook, but it was extremely annoying to try to read.

In my opinion, this book deserves 4 out of 5 stars because it can help a child cope with their fears while also reassuring them that they aren't alone in their struggles. There were no typos that I noticed, leading me to believe that the book had been professionally edited; however, I did have trouble making out the letters. The eBook version of the book also presented problems when trying to flip through its pages. Because of these factors, I had to dock a point.

I recommend this book to help children who are having trouble conquering their fears, especially when it comes to sleeping at night.

The Things We Fear As Children
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Despite the technical difficulties, it sounds like this book was written to give children some strategies for easing their fears, especially at night when they are going to sleep. Hopefully, they will have a hard copy book to read instead of an e-book.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

This seems like a helpful book for children, though having a hard to read font is a bit of an issue.
Stephanie Stones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonchika.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Stephanie Stones »

This is an interesting and well thought of review. I would love to try out this book and know more about the fascinating things in it. This is an interesting storyline.
Adeoluwa Adebusuyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeoluwa-adebusuyi.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Adeoluwa Adebusuyi »

This is a good and well written review. You captured all the important components of the book and I would definitely love to try out this book. Well done.
ViviVivid
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

Addressing childhood fears can help avoid traumas in adulthood. Children love to hear stories that encourage them not to be afraid of inanimate things. And this book seems to be one of them.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Sleep is very important so books that help with it will be very beneficial. I'm on the go for this helpful book. Your review is wonderful!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Neto Chukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neto-chukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Neto Chukwu »

Children can sometimes have wild imaginations that would end up scaring them and hinder them from sleeping. I did read this book to learn how the author dealt with young boy’s inability to sleep due to fear.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I admired how honest you were about your ebook navigation technical difficulties. I am glad you were still able to enjoy the book. This is an essential subject for children to learn; they can conquer their fears and flourish.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Return to “Children's Books”