Review of Sara's Doll

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: The Big Necesscaries by Beth Weiler

Review of Sara's Doll

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sara's Doll" by Rebecca Kennedy McConnell.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Sara's Doll is a children's book written by Rebecca Kennedy McConnell. In this story, Sara must abandon her doll because the wagon master won't let her bring it to the West with them. Get a copy of the book to learn what happens to Sara next.

The author's style of writing was something I appreciated. It has lots of colorful illustrations and only a few sentences on every other page, making it ideal for a child just learning to read. In this book, the author describes what it was like for people to travel when wagons were the primary mode of transportation. The fact that this tale has been told from one generation to the next was a nice touch, too.

The illustrations were bright and engaging, which is great for grabbing kids' attention. I thought it was a great way to show kids how people traveled in the past. Even though the story's twist was obvious, I was relieved by the story's ending.

Not one thing bothered me. Even though I thought the book seemed odd at first, by the end I was beaming with happiness and had no doubts about the book anymore.

Having children identify with Sara and her experiences is why I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars. Seeing as how wagons are uncommon in modern society, this book can also serve as a useful resource for parents to teach their children about wagons and what it was like in the past. I found a few mistakes, but I believe the book has been professionally edited. The book can be read and comprehended with little effort. I believe the book's conclusion will put a smile on any child's face, as it did for me.

This book is great for lifting kids' spirits or distracting them from any problems they may be having, so I highly recommend it. In my opinion, even young children who have only recently begun reading on their own will enjoy this book.

Sara's Doll
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Beeant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Beeant »

yes, I think the children will understand, how life requires struggle, the journey now is easier than in the past
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

This seems like a cute and uplifting kids book! Thanks for the excellent review!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Was Sara abandoning her doll forever? Why it is not allowed in the west? This is something I want to read about for my niece. It looks like the concept portrays life in the past that children would be nice to hear about. Your review is lovely!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
ojukwu2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojukwu2.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by ojukwu2 »

It's always interesting to come across such wonderful reviews. Adding this book to my bookshelf ASAP for possible reading in the future. Kudos.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

Sarah and her doll look so cute on the cover page. I like this book and its lessons.
Neto Chukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neto-chukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Neto Chukwu »

I wonder why the wagon master didn’t allow Sarah to bring her beautiful doll along, that must have made her really sad. I have to read on to find out why the wagon master made such a decision.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

When I read your review, I questioned why the wagon master prevented Sarah from bringing her doll to the West. As I read the rest of the review, I was elated to hear that the book will uplift spirits and has a happy ending.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Return to “Children's Books”