Review of Raise Your Hand if This is You

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: Field Guide to Sinisters and Benevolents by Nancy L Vallette

Review of Raise Your Hand if This is You

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Raise Your Hand if This is You" by B.G. Baker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

B.G. Baker has written a children's book titled Raise Your Hand if This is You. This book is meant to help kids see that they are unique and that some kids might have special needs that they should inquire about if they are curious while reading this book.

This book does a great job of highlighting the many ways in which kids are unique from one another. To ensure that the book's young readers can easily spot the distinctions, the illustrator used highlighting techniques throughout the book. The author purposely crafted this book in a way that encourages participation from the reader, the child, by prompting the reader to consider whether or not the child shares a particular characteristic or has a particular need. In order to keep kids interested, the author also made the majority of the text rhyme.

Some of the illustrations bothered me because I didn't think they would interest a child as much as the author had hoped they would. I liked them, but I wish some of them had more bright colors to them.

I found the story behind this book to be moving. It is heartening to see a parent go to such lengths to make something for their child to help them cope with a difficult time, especially at such a young age. What I like best about this book is that it will be useful to many kids, just like the author's daughter. The author's ability to draw the reader in was a strong point for me. I thought it was great that this book could help kids who have special needs relate to others who also have those needs but are unique.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars because every home with a child who has special needs should have this book on the shelf. Or, if you know a child who is naturally inquisitive and thinks they would benefit from learning these things, you can buy them this book as well. The absence of any errors in the book leads me to believe it has been edited professionally. Some of the pictures seemed a little gloomy, so I deducted a point because that probably won't interest or captivate a young reader.

Educators, parents, and caregivers are encouraged to use the topics raised in this book as a springboard for conversations with children who may have questions about the needs of other children.

Raise Your Hand if This is You
View: on Bookshelves
Abeymayor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Abeymayor »

Raise Your Hand If This Is You, is a book that helps to explore into the world of a growing child. It is a great deal of handwork that will help a child think wide about life
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

The author purposely crafted this book in a way that encourages participation from the reader, the child, by prompting the reader to consider whether or not the child shares a particular characteristic or has a particular need.
I like this element of the book and think it's important. When someone such as a special needs child seems so different, it's great for a child to find out what they may have in common with the special child. This can lead to more affinity and the ability to relate to one another. Good review!
Stephanie Stones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonchika.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Stephanie Stones »

This is an interesting and well thought of review. I would love to try out this book and know more about the fascinating things in it. This is an interesting storyline.
Adeoluwa Adebusuyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeoluwa-adebusuyi.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Adeoluwa Adebusuyi »

This is a good and well written review. You captured all the important components of the book and I would definitely love to try out this book. Well done.
Favour Hillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-hillz.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Favour Hillz »

This review is well detailed and captivating. It contains the important information about the book. I'm looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for a wonderful review.

Return to “Children's Books”