Review of A CHRISTmas Story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: My Hope for Racial Harmony In America by Richard Gordon

Review of A CHRISTmas Story

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A CHRISTmas Story" by Albert Detore.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A CHRISTmas Story, written by Albert Detore, is a book for Christian kids. The events that took place prior to the birth of Jesus as well as those that took place after his birth are illustrated in this book.

A child's attention will be drawn to the illustrations in the book because of their vivid colors. The book is written in rhymes to keep the child interested in the story as well as to make it more enjoyable and engaging overall. There are some topics that may not be suitable for children, but the author hasn't gone into detail about these topics.

I appreciated how the author made sure to accurately portray Mary's ethnicity. I also enjoyed the fact that the book contained rhymes. Given that the book is intended for younger readers, I thought it was wise that the conclusion was told in an innocent way.

One of the things that give me pause is the possibility that young children won't understand some of the rhymes. Some of the information that is presented about King Herod may not sit well with the parents of younger children because it might upset them.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because this story of Jesus' birth is more accurate than other children's stories like this one, By this, I mean that the correct ethnicity was used for Jesus and his parents in the biblical accounts. Because of the rhymes, reading it was an enjoyable and engaging experience. The book that I read had no mistakes in it that I could find.

I would recommend this book to children who come from Christian families and would like to read about the events that took place prior to the birth of Jesus as well as those that took place after his birth.

A CHRISTmas Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

This will be a good read for children who love Christmas stories. I think my niece loves it. Soon, I'll grab this. Thanks for your simply written review! I like it.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

As a child, my favourite Christian stories were about Jesus' birth. This review brings me memories. Although, I must confess I don't love rhyming books (sounds strange doesn't it?). Im sure this book is amazing anyway given your rate. Nice review.

Return to “Children's Books”