Review of The Little Maple Leaf

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: Awesomely Awkward Dating Tips for Beginners by Tina Kowalski

Review of The Little Maple Leaf

Post by Hager Salem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Little Maple Leaf" by September Knight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Little Maple Leaf by September Knight is a children's book that tells the story of a little maple leaf that was hanging on a tree. That tree was the only home he knew. He loved the tree a lot because it protected him. One day, the maple leaf found himself alone on the tree. All his family was gone. He felt threatened by the strong wind. He kept holding on to the tree. He was afraid to leave it. He thought that this would be his end. You can grab the book to know what happened to the maple leaf and how he fought the wind. Also, you will know if he won.

The book is short and educational. I like that it can teach children some good things while they are entertained by the story. The illustrations were calm and didn't have the lively, joyful energy you'd expect from a children's book. I like that the writer used independent pages to write on them, away from the drawings. This made the writing clear to read. Many children's books fall into the trap of putting the words over the illustrations, which makes the book really difficult to read. I'm glad this wasn't the case here.

There was nothing to hate about the book, but it wasn't impressive as well. I wasn't fond of the spirit of the book because I expected it to be more joyful.

The book provided some information and a nice short story. It received professional editing. I found no errors while browsing its pages. However, the energy and colors of the book could have been better. Therefore, I rate The Little Maple Leaf by September Knight four out of five stars.

I recommend the book to little children and their parents. They will get an amusing story and can have some discussions over the provided information.

The Little Maple Leaf
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Thanks for your review. I see what you mean about the energy and the spirit of the book. When I see "maple leaf," I think of vibrant fall colors and a sort of circle-of-life story.

Return to “Children's Books”