Review of Matchbox Dreams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Review of Matchbox Dreams

Post by Temi Book »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Matchbox Dreams" by Douglas Schwartz.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The children of the Drapkin family embark on series of adventures in Douglas Schwartz's novel for young readers, Matchbox Dreams. A toy maker named Jack Drapkin slept off while creating some brand-new plush animals that would be sold. As a result of the Sandman, who is in charge of dreams, accidentally scattering some dream dust on the illustrations, Jack “accidentally” entered Dreamland. He had met two animals in the dreamland: Harper and Remy. Following his awakening, he created the plush animals in the likeness of Harper and Remy. They were given to Titus, Constance, and Evie, his children, who were overjoyed to receive them.

Each night, when they snuggle with their new pals, they are taken to Dreamland, a magical and lovely world for children.  There are no spooky things here that will give children nightmares. Titus, Constance, and Evie get the opportunity to experience many things with Harper, Remy, and Millie (who later joined them). In places like Willets, where squirrels live, and Puffin Village, where mice live, to name a couple, they made many new talking animal friends. They engaged in detective role-playing, pirate combat, finding a hidden treasure crest, and other activities.

I like how the stories in this book flow together so naturally. Different Dreamland adventures take place every night.  I adore how well this crew gets along and works together. I adore the character Titus.  Because he was so intelligent, he always had a recommendation or an idea to address the issue at hand. In the escapades, Elvie and Constance each had a unique role to perform. The treasure search they went on and their ability to avoid the vicious hounds pursuing them was the adventure I loved the most. Older kids may read and understand this book easily because the author chose simple language.

There are also references to a variety of animal species, including pelicans, different dog and cat breeds, and Kumon—a hybrid of a dog and a cat—which is my first sort of hearing. Pugs, bulldogs, German shepherds, and terriers are just a handful of the many dog breeds that we have in the story. There are additional themes, such as friendship, family affection, and togetherness, in addition to the concept of teamwork and cooperation.  Before retiring to bed, the Drapkin family always ate dinner together and shared stories. Children reading this book would benefit from watching how the youngsters assist their parents.

I don't have any complaints about this book. But, I found that it was rather long; therefore, I would recommend this to kids at least 10 years old and above.  Also, there are many characters in it that small children could find difficult to follow.  So, it's best if adults read this to younger children.  This can be read even by adults who want to pass the time with an intriguing storybook.

I discovered a few mistakes in this book. So, it's been edited by a professional. This receives a rating of 5 out of 5 stars for the reasons mentioned above.  The read is worthwhile.

Matchbox Dreams
View: on Bookshelves
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

Titus, Constance, and Elvis seemed like they had wonderful adventures in Dreamland with their pet animals. This seems like a great bedtime story for kids. Great review.
Ekaete Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

Another toy story different from the one we're used to is nice. I really like the concept behind this book. It's nice. I liked your review.
Boluwatife Ade Aderogbin
Favorite Book: The Inner CEO
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boluwatife-ade-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Boluwatife Ade Aderogbin »

The fact that this book teaches children to assist their parents is commendable. Children's books should not be for entertainment alone but also teach them morals and ways of life. Great review.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

I love reading children's book. "Matchbox Dreams" by Douglas Schwartz seems to be a book with lots of imagination and visit to the dreamland.
Kelly Peter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-peter.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Kelly Peter »

This book has a great moral lesson that will benefit the children and the book plot will also pique their interest. Nice review.
Max Tiffany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tiffany.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Max Tiffany »

This is an interesting review, the children had a great adventure playing with their pets and friend also involved in games that develops their critical thinking skills. The book is also filled with moral lessons children can learn from.
Favour Ozone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-ozone.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Favour Ozone »

The Dreamland seems like a nice place filled with exciting places for adventures. Also, I love reading about pet animals. I would like to add this book to my collections. Wonderful review.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

The story sounds like a childish story indeed. I look forward to reading the book and enjoying the animals, children, and dreamland stories. Well done
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

Children's books are interesting. I can imagine them having a pleasant dream each night they go to sleep. Didn't it make the children want to sleep always. I'd like to read this book. Great review.
Fergie Jess Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jess-edeni.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Fergie Jess Edeni »

This book has great morals lessons that will benefit children in life. It is a most read and interesting book for children. Great review.
Sarah Kate Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-kate-smith.html
Latest Review: Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S.Lee

Post by Sarah Kate Smith »

Though this seems like a book for kids, I still wonder if Dreamland adventures are different from our normal dreams or more exciting, as this book talks about places where they engage in pirate combat, play detective, and so on.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

I enjoyed this book because it was so similar to those bed time story I do read at young age. I love the characters that the author selected for this book.
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

I am a big advocate for children exploring their imaginations. Picturing different places to visit and meet a variety of animals along the way as well as navigating moral issues play a part in children becoming happy and balanced teens.
Jesse Shon Voyamba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesse-shon-voyamba.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Jesse Shon Voyamba »

This looks like a book that I will read with the soul aim of narrating the story to my nephews and nieces. I am optimistic they will enjoy the part about dreamlands more.

Return to “Children's Books”