Review of Ryan Daniels: Good Night, Firefly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 277
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: Field Guide to Sinisters and Benevolents by Nancy L Vallette

Review of Ryan Daniels: Good Night, Firefly

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ryan Daniels: Good Night, Firefly" by Ada Aguilar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Ada Aguilar has written a children's book titled Ryan Daniels: Good Night, Firefly. This is the sequel to the first book in the series. It's about a young boy named Ryan who had trouble sleeping because there were always better things he could be doing. Then, when he tried to go to sleep, something magical happened. A firefly flew into his room and shrunk him to a tiny size. If you want to know what happens next, you should buy this book.

If your kid has trouble sleeping at night, they might enjoy reading this book before bed. The bright colors and fun characters in the illustrations will appeal to young readers. It even has magic, a concept beloved by young readers. The occasional use of rhyme is another way the author keeps the reader's attention.

I did not prefer the eBook's page presentation. There was a white line down the middle of the screen, and the pages were turned sideways. I was also concerned that a man was used to hand candy to Ryan in this book. If only a fantastical being or fictional person like a king had handed that lollipop to Ryan because it could set a bad example if kids saw children taking treats from strangers.

My son is just like Ryan in this book; he constantly comes up with excuses to get out of going to bed, making this book a helpful tool for me. The illustrations were lovely, and I appreciated the touch of magic the author added. The book's explanation of why kids need their beauty rest was another plus for me.

I gave it 4 out of 5 because I think most kids will enjoy it and find it relatable. The book seems to have been professionally edited; I couldn't find any mistakes in it. It was simple to grasp and read quickly. Unfortunately, I had to deduct a point because I was having trouble uploading the eBook, but it was still readable with some effort on the reader's part.

I think this book would be helpful for kids who have trouble falling asleep or who make up reasons not to go to bed.

Ryan Daniels: Good Night, Firefly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Sounds very relatable for kids who say excuses when it's bedtime. My niece loves watching movies at night, and sometimes she was glued and doesn't want to go to bed early. I'd like to read it for her. Your review is wonderful!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
NutellaBanana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutellabanana.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by NutellaBanana »

This is an interesting and well thought of book. This is also an interesting and well-written review. This is also a book that I would definitely love to try out. Thank you for this wonderful review.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 85405
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1298%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book 📚 of the day BOTD is children's genre well written with awesome pictures for children Daniel being the main character did not like going to sleep he hated night sleep he considered it boring and waste of his time we opted for videogaming, watching tv, playing with his pet puppy, he double checked his homework, doors, look out the window..I like this book and will recommend it 💯✅📚 because it was well written and reviewed
Raphael Wanjohi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raphael-wanjohi.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Raphael Wanjohi »

I was impressed by your review. The children book by Ada Aguilar can be appealing to kids who often make excuses not to go to bed. If they read this one and see how Ryan was magically reduced in size and got carried by the firefly for an amazing adventure. It is a good book that I consider buying for children around our house. They will enjoy the magic and the funny illustration of objects with bright colors.
Elizabeth McNutt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N)
Currently Reading: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-mcnutt.html
Latest Review: Fantasy Realms Coloring Book by Carolina Mattos Alvarado and Steven A Ridder
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Elizabeth McNutt »

The review is well-written and brings a valid concern of getting candy from a stranger. Will bring that into context on my full read. Sounds like a match with nature and pleasant dreams to help other children be able to sleep.
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

A BOOK BY ADA AGUILAR ABOUT YOUNG BOY RYAN WHO HAD TROUBLE SLEEPING AND ALWAYS HAD SOMETHING BETTER TO DO, THE NEED FOR REST...
A BOOK FOR CHILDREN WHO HAVE TROUBLE SLEEPING OR MAKE UP REASONS NOT TO GO TO BED.GOOD REVIEW
John Siamey
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-siamey.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by John Siamey »

Overall, it seems like a helpful and enjoyable book for kids who have trouble falling asleep or making excuses to avoid bedtime. The fact that it's professionally edited and easily readable is another positive point. The only drawback mentioned is the eBook's page presentation, but it's good to know that the story remains accessible despite the formatting issue.
Sia_young
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: The Red Movement
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-young.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
fav_author_id: 2719
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Sia_young »

Sounds like an interesting book for the kids who are stubborn to sleep at night. I think most of the kids are reluctant to go to sleep at night. It's actually funny and cute, how they tend to take multiple naps during the day and are owls at night, haha. But it's also necessary that they get a good night's rest for their overall well being. Definitely gonna read this, pretty sure it's cute and entertaining! Good review you've given here.
Rutendo Gora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rutendo-gora.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Rutendo Gora »

I don't have kids of my own but this book sounds like an excellent way to put my younger siblings to bed. Thank you for an awesome review. I love how you pointed out that the author romanticised taking sweets from strangers a bit.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting children's book highlighting a unique protagonist, and the value of sleep to children as it provides energy, health, and thinking clearly. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD.
Emma Jane Grey
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Transforming Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
Bookshelf Size: 774
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-jane-grey.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Emma Jane Grey »

I don’t have any kids in my life myself so not a great judge of books for an audience this young, but from what the review’s saying, it sounds like this could be a good little story to help get kids get to sleep at bedtime.
:reading-4:

Emma (she/her)

“… it is enough to exist in the world and marvel at it. You don’t need to justify that, or earn it. You are allowed to just live. That is all most animals do.” ~ Becky Chambers, A Psalm for the Wild-Built
Nemanja Jankovic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 551
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nemanja-jankovic.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Nemanja Jankovic »

"Ryan Daniels: Good Night, Firefly" by Ada Aguilar is a children's book and the second book in the series. The boy Ryan tried to fall asleep for a long time and then a firefly flew into the room and he shrunk to his size.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Kids will discover the value of sleep through magic and fantasy. Young children will find this vibrant picture book relatable.
SALIM RAJAB 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by SALIM RAJAB 1 »

what a nice children's story book, Daniel wrote this book after knowing that it will attract most book readers,I also recommend children to have this book for their leisure. thanks

Return to “Children's Books”