Review of Ritchie Rat and the Red Cap

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Review of Ritchie Rat and the Red Cap

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ritchie Rat and the Red Cap" by Lakshan Chaturi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Ritchie Rat and the Red Cap by Lakshan Chaturi is a children's book that follows a young rat Ritchie who moves with his mother to live on the bank of a small hill. Ritchie is lonely and misses company, so he often goes into the forest to explore in the hope of finding rat friends. However, his mother warns him to be careful because he may encounter strangers who can be dangerous. That's why she gives him a red cap with "Stranger Danger" written on it, which will remind him of night predators and that he must be cautious.

This relatively short children's story contains an important lesson: you should not trust strangers. Although this lesson is presented from the animal perspective of a rat, the lesson is well conveyed. My favorite part of the story was when young Ritchie understood the importance of his mother's words to be careful and how cunning he was whenever he encountered a predator in the forest. Apart from its instructive aspect, the story is quite fluid and easy to read. In addition, I did not encounter any errors, and the book seems exceptionally well-edited. I like the author's simple, clear, and straight-to-the-point writing style, which is ideal for young readers. In addition, I enjoy how the story is divided into several short chapters, through which the layout of the entire book is immediately visually more pleasing. Also, in each chapter, there is an illustration that shows the event described in that chapter.

There isn't much negative in the book. The only thing that bothered me a little was the story's abrupt ending. Likewise, there is no final chapter or words from the author at the end, and I think that addition would have been desirable so that the whole story could have been adequately complete and rounded.

All things considered, I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. The rating is not perfect because of the already-mentioned aspects that can potentially be easily fixed and adjusted. However, generally speaking, I really like the story and think it would appeal to a wide audience of children.

I would primarily recommend the book to children in the lower grades of elementary school, but also to all parents who want to give their children a book that contains important lessons. The book could also be a good choice for a bedtime story.

Ritchie Rat and the Red Cap
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Children's Books”