Review of The Noble Adventures of Beryl and Carol

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-amarachi-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Operation November Blizzard by Stephen Snow (penname)

Review of The Noble Adventures of Beryl and Carol

Post by Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Noble Adventures of Beryl and Carol" by Jeremy Sherr.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Noble Adventures of Beryl and Carol is a children's book that talks about the spirit of adventure missing in children in today's world. It propagates the benefit of reading and the necessary balance between play and study. It talks about the necessary desire to achieve something or do something special, the value of friendship and maintaining one, understanding the views of others, and accommodating them.

Jeremy Sherr, in this book, talks about two young girls on the run from frequent harassment from a group of boys terrorizing the neighborhood. The girls venture into the forest, rumored to be filled with all types of dangerous villains, and stumble into something spectacular. This spirals into a plot of revenge on the bullies, the search for the truth that has been misconstrued in the town, the struggle with failing grades, a test in their relationship, and a very dangerous treasure hunt which might be the key to saving their families if not their town.

First, I would love to point out that the title of the book was simple. Its simplistic nature would give anyone picking a book for his or her child or children the desired picture the book tends to display. I would also like to commend the author on the simple and easy-to-read words used, which some authors neglect, making the book difficult for the intended readers. I also love the little hand-drawn drawings that I believe might inspire the reader and also aid in the understanding of the book. Also, the book teaches some virtues we would all want our children to emulate growing up. These virtues include hard work, dedication, resilience, willingness to study and discover new things, bravery, wisdom, and so many more.

Even though this book was as outstanding as it could be, I think that one of the virtues that I believe the author was trying to portray in the characters of the story might be likened to revenge which might send the wrong message to the intending target. Nevertheless, with the proper guidance, I think this can be avoided or corrected.

I found the book to be an exhilarating read. I also found no errors in the book. It was exceptionally edited, and this increased my overall satisfaction with the book. This leads to me giving the book a rating of five out of five stars. I believe the negative aspect is one that can be avoided with proper guidance.

I recommend this book to lovers of children's books or parents who would want a nighttime storybook for their kids. 

The Noble Adventures of Beryl and Carol
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

There's a lot to learn from the adventures of Carol and Beryl. For sure, a lot of children benefit from it. Your review is awesome!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

I am slightly disappointed by the dull book cover. However, it seems the content makes up for it. Thanks for the review!
Jeff Kanda
Currently Reading: Dreams Are to Be Lived
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff-kanda.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Jeff Kanda »

Wow! You have provided an insightful review for this book and i look forward to read it.
Upphilan Paul
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upphilan-paul.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Upphilan Paul »

This is an interesting and amazing book for children. Yes, we'll want our children and young ones to emulate the good habits that the author emphasized on in this book.
As for the boys bullying, I think that's the every boys groups mentality especially the children, but as they grow and by cautioning them, they'll realize that everyone is equal and deserved to be treated as fellow human being with respect.
I love this review, well detailed. Congrats on BOTD!
Ams Strong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ams-strong.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ams Strong »

Good review. I think the theme of revenge might be a turn-off for some parents, and proper guidance is needed.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

This is a very comprehensive and honest review. As much as I would like to read the book, as a parent myself, I might steer away from it due to the idea of revenge presented in the book. There's a lot of movies and series nowadays that showcase revenge and this is not something I would like to instill in my children.
Thank you for an honest review!
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Any book that invites kids to go out looking for adventure and discovery, is worth reading. I agree that it often lacks in today's world. Also I find value in describing virtues like hard work and resilience. Sounds like a book to recommend.
Derin jessy
Favorite Book: Phobia Relief
Currently Reading: Phobia Relief
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derin-jessy.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Derin jessy »

I love adventure stories. After a long time I'm seeing a good story. I can feel every sort of emotions the girls express in that book. The author has given a good expressiveness in each one's role. Thanks for the review
Thomas Hill
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Thomas Hill »

The theme might not be every parents' cup of tea. But as long as children reading it acccompanied by their parents, I think it might just be refreshing to some.
Debsss12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Debsss12 »

This sounds like a great novel. Beryl and Carol's adventures intrigue me, I now really want to know if they will find the treasure that could save their familie.
Ayushi_Chaudhary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayushi-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ayushi_Chaudhary »

The review is so appropriate that everybody would like to read the book. Children would also love it. The adventures that the author has talked about in the book are amazing. 6 complete chapters and half seventh chapter in the sample are so interesting that I want to go on reading curiously.
Abdul Ser
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-ser.html
Latest Review: The Grand by Dennis D. Wilson

Post by Abdul Ser »

"The spirit of adventure is missing in children in today's world" statement is so correct and unfortunately unavoidable because of today's so-called "modern" living standards. In the past, when I was a child in the late 70's and early 80's, the playground opportunities for children were much bigger than today's. Without the internet, smartphones, tablets, social media and computers, there was plenty of room for outdoor activities. I am not arguing that these days were better or worse than today; I am just pointing to a fact. Even the population and construction of homes and compounds were less, so as children we were offered many large areas to make a playground. We were running, bicycling, exploring new places (which were very close to our homes but seemed incredibly far away for us) and as a matter of fact making new "adventures" every day. Even the movies were better these days (for example Indiana Jones adventures) Unfortunately nowadays, there is no room for children to play freely, parents are fearful for their safety and do not let them go far, the obligation to check all social media accounts every 10 or so minutes, and all the other "modern times" reasons reduces the spirit of adventure in children in today's world. So I guess the book is making a good point about this for all parents, and the review describes this issue successfully, guiding readers to inspect the book. Good job.
Kelvinna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinna.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books A Second Kiss Goodnight (A Bedtime Story) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kelvinna »

I appreciate the well-structured review. The author's excellent book and its intriguing title have piqued my interest, prompting me to add it to my bookshelf without a doubt.
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

While going through the sample of the book in Amazon I found the story starting with a very interesting narration of the children hiding in the woods and then finding a magic garden there. I would love to go through the whole book. Congratulations on BOTD.
Thanks for a beautiful review.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Children's Books”