Review of Rodowell Sky

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: The Big Necesscaries by Beth Weiler

Review of Rodowell Sky

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rodowell Sky" by Willie Thomas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Willie Thomas has written a children's book series titled Rodowell Sky. During one of her journeys, you accompany Rodowell as she makes a new friend named Elijah and uses her wings and abilities to aid him.

This is the second book of Willie Thomas's I've read, and he hasn't disappointed me yet. The vivid colours and wonderful illustrations in his books captivate my attention. The rhyming was done with the child's enjoyment in mind. This book is great because it teaches kids the value of friendship and sharing.

I prefer books like this for kids that have large fonts and few sentences per page so that they can read them on their own without getting frustrated. Willie's writing style is enjoyable; his books are refreshingly different from the norm and are sure to keep your kid interested.

Not that I didn't enjoy it; rather, I found that every illustration featured a distracting rectangular shape; if the story's text was meant to be included in this shape, then the eBook wasn't uploaded correctly. You can also not tell that the can of beans in the cracks was a can of beans, leading me to believe that the pages weren't shown in their entirety at times, unless it was meant to be like that.

The book receives 4 out of 5 stars from me. One point was deducted because of a distracting square on the pages. Other than that, I found the story's themes of teamwork, sharing and friendship very moving. Both the pictures and the rhyming will keep your child's attention throughout the story. Since I didn't find any errors in it, I assume it was edited professionally.

If your child is interested in magic and friendship, I think they'll enjoy this book. Children who use wheelchairs may feel like they will relate to this book, which is why I recommend it to them as well.

Rodowell Sky
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

I fully agree with larger font sizes and fewer words on a page. I've realized that my kids look forward to turning pages and do tend to be frustrated by long books. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Children's Books”