Review of Life Lessons Through Fly Fishing

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Review of Life Lessons Through Fly Fishing

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life Lessons Through Fly Fishing" by Mark M Winkler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Two kids are excited to have finally had the opportunity to go fly fishing with their dad. They have done a couple of things in preparation for this long-awaited adventure. This tale of enthusiasm, recreation, and games is punctuated with some practical life lessons.

The storyline is straightforward, as expected of a children's storybook, and started with a sort of fresh energy. There is an atmosphere of excitement as the kids "spring" from bed and prepare themselves to visit the fishing site. This sparks a kind of curiosity in readers, as they would like to partake in the kids' happiness.

Mark M. Winkler did a great job with the character development. The kids were not only eager to go fly fishing with their dad but also showed a great sense of commitment and responsibility towards that adventure by putting in place all the tools and materials needed for the journey. This sends a message of matching wishes or aspirations with actions. The kids are also likeable: smart, corrigible, and adventurous.

The moral lessons explored in this book are worth paying attention to. The best thing is that they were presented in a fun, practical manner. In addition, the illustrations were appropriate and colourful, making the story more appealing. Also, this is a well-edited book, and this made my reading experience fluid. There is only one grammatical error in it.

I didn't see the author's name on the book cover of the Kindle copy offered to me for review, and that is not okay at all. Also, the story is written in upper case, and although that didn't pose any serious hindrance to my enjoyment of the story, I think the conventional method would have been better.

I rate Life Lessons Through Fly Fishing four out of five stars because of the simple storyline, the practical lessons, the colourful illustrations, and the gripping narration, among others. I removed a star from the rating due to the negative aspects I noted in the above paragraph. Overall, I enjoyed reading this book. I hope the amazing aspects of this book give children a memorable reading experience.

Life Lessons Through Fly Fishing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chris Agbara
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Chris Agbara »

Thanks for sharing your review of Life Lessons Through Fly Fishing! It sounds like a delightful children's book with relatable characters and practical lessons. I appreciate the mention of the colourful illustrations and gripping narration. I'll definitely get this book for my children.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Jhon Mario Sinisterra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Jhon Mario Sinisterra »

"Life Lessons Through Fly Fishing" is an inspiring and thoughtful book that uses fly fishing as a metaphor to explore life's deeper themes. Written by Steven Meyers, an avid fisherman and clinical psychologist, the book is filled with personal anecdotes and insightful reflections on the importance of patience, perseverance, and acceptance in life.

Through Meyers' fishing experiences, the book explores themes such as the importance of setting clear goals, the need to adapt to changing situations, and the importance of finding beauty in the natural world around us. It also offers reflections on the link between the mind and the body, and how the practice of fly fishing can help improve mental and emotional health.

What makes "Life Lessons Through Fly Fishing" special is its honest and candid approach. Meyers isn't afraid to share his fishing mistakes and failures, and how these obstacles have taught him valuable life lessons. He also shares stories of other fishermen and how his experiences have influenced his own philosophy of life.

In short, "Life Lessons Through Fly Fishing" is a book that goes beyond fly fishing and offers a deep and thoughtful look at life itself. It is a book that can be appreciated by experienced anglers as well as those who have never cast a fly in their lives. It is an inspiring and uplifting read that offers a unique perspective on how we can find meaning and purpose in our lives.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: New You by Abner Amador
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

I know nothing about fly fishing and I have to look it up. I think the book will apply to me too because learning doesn't stop. This would be useful lessons for me.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|

Return to “Children's Books”