Review of Aunt Tabby's House

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Review of Aunt Tabby's House

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Aunt Tabby's House" by Debby Detering.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Aunt Tabby's House is a fun and educational children's book by Debby Detering. The author employs simple grammar, colorful pictures, and a lucid narration style to tell a story that is as engaging as it is enlightening. The book is easy to navigate. The FAQs section at the beginning of the book and the titled chapters did an excellent job of giving the reader hints of what is to come.

The book's plot mainly revolves around family, which I found endearing. The author did a good job highlighting healthy family interactions and bonds and how every member can support and stand up for each other. Another of the book's strengths is how the author maintained suspense in her narration through the tension between Aunt Tabby and Katrina and Jeremy's dad. Their sometimes cryptic conversations and the palpable tension between them heightened my interest in the book.

Many authors of children's books understandably like to keep their plot fun and cute because of the audience. However, I am glad Debby Detering didn't toe that line. In addition to its fun content, Debby broached sensitive topics, such as death and the Vietnam War, in a manner that her target audience would understand. Also, through her narration, the author hints at ways to keep the memory of a deceased loved one alive and be kind to everyone, including people society might view as degenerates. Overall, the story is thought-provoking and well-rounded, with many lessons for its readers.

I have no quibbles about Aunt Tabby's House. The tale is rich and well-told, and at the end, there is an excerpt from the author's other book and more information on Vietnam. After considering all aspects of the book, I rate it 5 out of 5 stars. It was a good read.

The book is best suited for readers aged ten years and upwards. The storytelling has textures that readers younger than that might not appreciate. Its clean content, several fun activities, and teachable moments make it an invaluable resource for classroom reading and discussions.

Aunt Tabby's House
View: on Bookshelves
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

I like the colorful cover and believe the kids will enjoy this one. Thanks for the review!
reviewerbook17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerbook17.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by reviewerbook17 »

This is a fun and educational book with lots of fun activities that children would enjoy. I do love checking out books like this.
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

Children's books should always be an easy to understand, fun with full of colors and this one seems to be checking all the boxes. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Children's Books”