Review of When We Are Apart

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obc Contentor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-contentor.html
Latest Review: Heart and Harmony: Poetic Reflections on Legendary Singers by Archie Luper

Review of When We Are Apart

Post by Obc Contentor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When We Are Apart" by Becca Johnsey.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Children at a tender age are prone to missing their parents, especially when their parents are away for work. The emotion grows from loneliness to anger and a loss of interest in hobbies such as building blocks. In the book When We Are Apart, Becca Johnsey seeks to remind children of the signs of love that Daddy and Mommy have shown them in the past and to, therefore, be assured that the love continues even when the parent is not at home.

Written by Becca Johnsey and illustrated by Marizan, When We Are Apart is a children's book that seeks to serve as a token of love and substance of relief passed from parents to their children. Specifically, it helps tell a child that Daddy is not too far from home and that he's eager to come home as soon as possible, even if he's gone far to work.

The book has been deliberately written with simple word choices and enough graphical representation of what the thought in each sentence means. I believe the book would surely achieve the goal for which it is written. First, children are reminded of how their loving father would go to any length to play with them, dressing themselves to appear funny, somewhat scary, or to induce an engaging and ecstatic emotion on the child's faces.

There is nothing to dislike in this book. I love the gentle tone that oozes out from the author's writing style, and the arrangement of thoughts is functionally woven. I admire the way in which parents are portrayed as affectionate and compassionate individuals whom children can seek comfort from during times of emotional distress, providing them with a sense of calm and security.

I will be giving the book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. It is exceptionally well-edited, as I couldn't find a grammar error. The colorful pictures are sure to capture the attention of children and make them fall in love with the book at first sight. The book would be best suited to be explained and/or read to children between the ages of two and five who still miss daddy or mommy when away at work.

When We Are Apart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

This seems like a cute book to explain to children that sometimes parents have to go to work. Thanks for the great review!
Chinedu Vibex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedu-vibex.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Chinedu Vibex »

Books like this showed how parents really missed their kids whenever they are away,thanks for this great review
Michelle Joseph 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-joseph-2.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Michelle Joseph 2 »

I value the thorough analysis. Even if I don't enjoy reading children's books, I can recommend an excellent one to parents and children. I commend the authors of this excellent novel for making me think of my beloved parents and how they sacrificed so much for my happiness, especially my mom. This book is excellent.
holywriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holywriter.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by holywriter »

I agree with the reviewer's observation on the simplicity of the language and the thoughtful illustrations in the book. It's wonderful to see how the author has taken care to make the story relatable and engaging for young children. This definitely piques my interest in getting the book for my little one. Thanks.
Rick Justin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rick-justin.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Rick Justin »

This book seems interesting and vital for children who misses parents. I like it that children would develop interest at the first time coming across book.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

This he an interesting book that parents will find amazing and educative. Also, they can use this opportunity to educate their children.
Christabel Ify Benson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-ify-benson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Christabel Ify Benson »

Great job on this review! You've provided a thorough and insightful analysis of the book that makes me want to read it myself. Good job.
Fergie Jessica Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jessica-edeni.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Fergie Jessica Edeni »

Your review was excellent in bringing attention to the book's positive aspects. The manner in which you portrayed the plot instilled in me a sense of eagerness to read it and encounter the suspense firsthand.
Ahma Salawudeen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahma-salawudeen.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Ahma Salawudeen »

Wow, what an amazing book! I was hooked from start to finish and found it difficult to put down. The characters were interesting and the plot twists were unexpected. I'm so glad I decided to read this book!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Children are always attached to mom and dad, and when they are away, it started them to miss their parents. This book is one great piece to teach children that they are loved even if their parents are away to work. What they do are for the goodness of their children. I enjoyed your review, obc contentor! It's perfect!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Mercy Deen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-deen.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Mercy Deen »

Wow! This is an impactful book. This is because I can see how it could go a long way making children happy and enjoyable reading it or being read to. Thanks for sharing this review.
Rahma Nini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahma-nini.html
Latest Review: Stolen Grace by Rev Errol E Leslie

Post by Rahma Nini »

To children, flipping the page would give them enjoyable and thrilling moments since there are pictures that appear playful are there. I also believe that children needs to be assured that parents love them above any other things.
Boye Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boye-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Dreamland by Rasa Ponce

Post by Boye Emmanuel »

I appreciate the author and illustrator of this book for this book. Children won't want to leave their parents, so I hope reading a book like this would encourage them.
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: Call Me Adam by Jo McCarty

Post by Veronica Hunter »

'When We Are Apart' by Becca Johnsey sounds like a tender and comforting children's book that acknowledges the emotions kids might feel when their parents are away. The message of love and reassurance seems to make it a valuable read for families experiencing separation.

Return to “Children's Books”