Review of Find Me In Time

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nisha DSouza
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Review of Find Me In Time

Post by Nisha DSouza »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Find Me In Time" by L.T. Caton.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

What happens when you discover that not everything you learned in your history class was factually accurate? Don't you ever wonder who documented that chronology? Not surprisingly, the survivors or the conquerors dictate the narratives that often get passed down as history. Every tale, historical event, and battle can be portrayed differently, depending on the narrator's allegiance. Wouldn't it be interesting to understand an uncelebrated version of history? In her book, Find Me In Time: Meeting Columbus, the author L.T. Caton does just that.

The story begins with Ashley and her friends playing a game of hide-and-seek in the woods. They are unaware that they are about to go through something genuinely unbelievable. They discover a magical sycamore treehouse by accident. It transports them back in time to significant historical moments. Among other things, they witness a thrilling and scary action sequence during the Texas Revolution. They build their confidence and prepare for their next time-traveling adventure. As the book's title suggests, they eventually meet Christopher Columbus. What happens when they encounter the famous Italian explorer? Many consider him a hero, but does he live up to the expectations? Who else do they meet on their mystical adventures? Get a copy of this book right away to find all the answers.

The author has used an attractive cover and beautiful illustrations to grab the young readers' attention. I loved the way the author used this story to present a unique take on history. She tells the tale from the perspective of the Taino people, describing how they perceived Columbus' arrival at Guanahani. I wholeheartedly commend the author for including this much background material without making it seem like a history textbook. That, in my opinion, is the most effective strategy for memorizing historical events. She also shares interesting facts about Columbus Day and the rich cultural heritage of the indigenous Taino community.

Having put immense effort into making the graphics engaging, the author should have gone one step further to give a pictographic introduction to the characters. It would have helped the readers connect with them. It is merely a suggestion and has no bearing on the final rating. Another thing that caught my attention was the phrase "What the..." that appeared in two instances. Although no foul words followed that, we all know how that ends. I think it is a little out of place, given that this book is for children in the reading age range of 6 to 11 years. That is the only criticism I have about this book. But that doesn't necessitate taking away a star.

Undoubtedly, the author's experience as a teacher has helped deliver this exceptionally well-edited book. She is passionate about telling the stories of people from diverse cultures while making history enjoyable. It is distinctly noticeable in her writing skills. I immensely enjoyed the value this book brings to young readers. So, I rate the book 5 out of 5 stars.

This book is fantastic for children interested in learning about history in a new way. I also recommend that parents read this book because they may be able to use it as a teaching tool. Furthermore, it will appeal to readers who like historical fiction.

Find Me In Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Leathia Fails
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Leathia Fails »

It’s new way to learn about history
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

I like historical tales, and the fact that the author used simplified writing and illustrations to deliver historical facts makes this book very unique and increases its appeal to both adults and children. Thank you for the recommendation, Nisha, and this amazing review!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
byrondsouza
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by byrondsouza »

I would really like the history books in my country to be re written. not everything is factually accurate here too.
Nisha DSouza
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 24 Apr 2023, 17:06 I like historical tales, and the fact that the author used simplified writing and illustrations to deliver historical facts makes this book very unique and increases its appeal to both adults and children. Thank you for the recommendation, Nisha, and this amazing review!
Yes, it was quite a unique way to narrate what happened. Thanks, Omneya for your kind comments. 😊🙏
Nisha

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

This book is a must-read to me! I loved the idea! Im so glad I camr across your review. The historic details will be the perfect touch 👏👏👏
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Honestly, I don't know the history of Columbus. Through this simply written book, I may acquire enormously the historical facts written with no confusion. Thanks for your terrific review, as always Nisha!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Nisha DSouza
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu wrote: 17 May 2023, 10:42 This book is a must-read to me! I loved the idea! Im so glad I camr across your review. The historic details will be the perfect touch 👏👏👏
Yes, it is a lovely book for children and adults alike. I am looking forward to reading other books in this series. Thank you for your warm and encouraging words, Sara. It means a lot. 😊🙏
Nisha

Nisha DSouza
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 17 May 2023, 15:41 Honestly, I don't know the history of Columbus. Through this simply written book, I may acquire enormously the historical facts written with no confusion. Thanks for your terrific review, as always Nisha!
Even I didn't know much except for the basic, well-known facts. This book will be an eye-opener for you. If you get a chance, read it with your niece. I'm very sure you both will enjoy it. I have nominated this book for BOTM.

Thank you for your motivating comments, Hazel. 😊🙏
Nisha

Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

This seems like a great historical fiction. I love the fact that the author used illustrations and an interesting storyline to help children learn. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Nisha DSouza
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Catalina Isabel wrote: 19 May 2023, 04:17 This seems like a great historical fiction. I love the fact that the author used illustrations and an interesting storyline to help children learn. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Thank you so much, Catalina, for your encouraging words. 😊🙏
Nisha

Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: Human Beings First by Paul E. Wolfe

Post by Seetha E »

History, people, community and mystery! Makes for an apt read for not just kids but adults too. The review sounds like a lovely, fun and adventure kind of a book. Lovely review Nisha.
Nisha DSouza
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha DSouza »

SitaE wrote: 19 May 2023, 05:28 History, people, community and mystery! Makes for an apt read for not just kids but adults too. The review sounds like a lovely, fun and adventure kind of a book. Lovely review Nisha.
Thank you so much for your kind words, SitaE. 😊🙏
Nisha

Return to “Children's Books”