Review of New Can Be Scary

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: My Hope for Racial Harmony In America by Richard Gordon

Review of New Can Be Scary

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "New Can Be Scary" by Joyce Olsen.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Joyce Olsen's New Can Be Scary is a children's book. Derek is excited to see which of his kindergarten pals will be attending his first grade class with him. However, Derek was having trouble seeing, so he had to go to an optometrist. Find out how he deals with this new challenge by reading this book.

Most kids aren't thrilled by the prospect of anything new happening to them, like the situation this book covers. The readers of this book are also encouraged not to engage in bullying. The artwork is big and bright, which I appreciated. In my opinion, this will help keep the reader's attention and ensure that the child will not lose interest in the book.

The use of a different colour for each chapter's title is refreshing and something I think young readers will like. I appreciate that this book deals with the topic of children getting glasses and the steps involved. It's great that there are discussion questions at the end of the book to encourage your youngster to think critically and try something new. The fact that the author handled the kids' reactions to Derek's new eyewear is great, as it will help kids who don't need glasses and can understand what it's like for someone who does.

I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars because I think it would be useful in teaching youngsters not to pick on others who wear glasses, and I would definitely read it to my own child if he would need glasses. There was not a single thing about the book that I did not enjoy. This book has been edited to perfection, since I found no mistakes while reading it.

I think this book would be a great resource for kids who are bullying other children because they wear glasses or who are having trouble coming to terms with their own thoughts about wearing them.

New Can Be Scary
View: on Bookshelves
Chris Agbara
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Chris Agbara »

Thank you for the great review of "New Can Be Scary." It sounds like a wonderful children's book that addresses an important topic of kids getting glasses and how to deal with new challenges.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.

Return to “Children's Books”