Review of To The Tent: A Hide-and-Seek Story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: My Hope for Racial Harmony In America by Richard Gordon

Review of To The Tent: A Hide-and-Seek Story

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "To The Tent: A Hide-and-Seek Story" by Jonathan J. O'Konek.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Children will enjoy Jonathan J. O'Konek's To The Tent: A Hide-and-Seek Story. Play a game of hide-and-seek with Reece, who is trying to hide and being found by her father. She makes it interesting and engaging for the reader by addressing them while trying to tell the story, so you won't be let down. If you read this book, you'll understand why everyone in her household considers her the best at hide-and-seek.

I think a kid would enjoy looking at the pictures. Except for the text, the illustrations in this children's book were rather dull. Even if your kid isn't already into playing hide-and-seek, they'll be motivated to find new places to hide after reading this book.

This is the kind of book I'd enjoy reading aloud to my son while snuggling up with him in bed and hiding under the covers. I plan on doing this the next time I read to him because I know he will be in fits of laughter. I thought it was really clever how the author was using Reece to start a conversation with the reader. Despite the lack of bright colours in the images, I found the illustrations to be warm and welcoming.

There was not a single thing about the book that I did not enjoy. My opinion is that it could have had more vivid colours, but that is not reason enough for me to dislike the book.

I give this book 5 out of 5 stars because I know it will help me bond with my son and that he will enjoy me reading it to him. The fact that Reece was such a likable protagonist was a bonus. The book has been professionally edited, but I did find a few typos.

I think this book would be a lot of fun for kids who enjoy playing hide-and-seek and are looking for a captivating story.

To The Tent: A Hide-and-Seek Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for your review of Jonathan J. O'Konek's "To The Tent: A Hide-and-Seek Story." Your description of the storyline has me convinced that it's a book that kids will love. The fact that Reece is addressing the reader while playing hide-and-seek adds a unique touch to the book, and I can imagine how much fun it would be to re

Your observation about a few typos is understandable, and I appreciate the honesty in your review. Your high rating for the book and your comment about how it will help you bond with your son make me excited to read it to my own niece and nephew.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

Hide and Seek has been one of the best games I've ever played when played with the right people. I agree that children will love this book because who doesn't want to learn new hiding techniques? I'd buy this for my sister.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|

Return to “Children's Books”