Review of It’s Keen To Be Green!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: My Hope for Racial Harmony In America by Richard Gordon

Review of It’s Keen To Be Green!

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It’s Keen To Be Green!" by Dr. Mary Bains.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In the children's book, It's Keen To Be Green!, Dr. Mary Bains encourages readers to embrace awareness of the environment. This is a sweet story about a farm family and the mother's efforts to educate her children on the value of recycling and the steps of the process. The oldest of her children, Jonas, came to the conclusion that he should talk to his classmates and friends about the importance of recycling.

The illustrations are vibrant and very captivating to look at. This book can teach children the importance of family members pitching in to help one another out around the house and in the garden. Those whose families are Christian will learn from this book that Sundays are set aside for worship. The central focus of this book is on recycling itself and how it is done.

The idea that this book conveys to young readers about the importance of family struck a chord with me. Also, the illustrations were fantastic. I also appreciated the book's emphasis on recycling.

The book's background made it hard to make out some of the words, which was a major drawback for me. It bothered me that the kids were split up according to gender norms for play. My parents never did that with us.

I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars because I really appreciated the underlying messages and the emphasis on family. In comparison to other books I have read, this one provides significantly more information about recycling. I had to take off a point because it took a lot of effort to read some of the pages because of the busy background. There were a few typos, but not enough for me to dock any points.

In particular, I think this book would be helpful for kids growing up in Christian homes, but I have no doubt that kids from other backgrounds would enjoy it as well.

It’s Keen To Be Green!
View: on Bookshelves
Chris Agbara
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Chris Agbara »

Thank you for sharing your review! I completely agree with you about the importance of the book's messages on family and recycling. It's great to see how it resonated with you. The illustrations truly are captivating and add to the overall experience. I'm sure you'll love this heartwarming story!
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Post by Roy Nick »

Recycling is a powerful message on environmental conservation. However, either your review did not captivate me enough or the book's narration is a bit dull. Anyway, good job.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

It is always a good thing to instill such powerful messages in children. They are the future, and the sooner they learn about environmental conservation the better. This is a great educational book for children.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Taking care of Mother Earth is so important. One of these is recycling. It's good that the book teaches children how to preserve the environment. Thanks for your wonderful review, Christell!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Children's Books”