Review of The Mirror Box

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: Field Guide to Sinisters and Benevolents by Nancy L Vallette

Review of The Mirror Box

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mirror Box" by Wade Warren Bergner.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Wade Warren Bergner's "The Mirror Box" is a book about grief for kids. This book is a lovely tale about a boy named Christopher, his grandfather, and a mirrored box. After his grandfather passed away, Christopher found himself grieving, and he recalled that his grandfather had left him a box that he was forbidden to open or discuss with anyone. What could possibly be inside this mysterious box? If you're curious, pick up this book.

The book's illustrations drew me in immediately, and I have no doubt that they will do the same for kids. The length of the text ensures that a child's attention will not be diverted. This book deals with the uncomfortable subject of death in the family and mourning. I also think this book can teach kids to treasure the time they spend with loved ones because they never know when they'll see them again. The author also includes a section where they help the reader reconnect with a loved one who has passed on.

I appreciated that the author addressed a topic rarely addressed in children's literature: grief. The bond between the grandfather and the young boy was very touching to me. I think it would be fantastic if the author turned this into a series, switching up the family member that passed to be someone other than a grandfather (or grandmother, or parent, or sibling). This will help the child relate more to the book.

My only complaint is that the book's cover doesn't make it clear that it's about grief, if a parent is looking for a resource to help their child cope with loss. They might miss picking up this book because the cover isn't clear. This may even be incorporated into the title in some way. However, this is addressed in the conclusion.

I give this book 5 out of 5 stars because it has the potential to significantly improve how young children process grief. If parents are struggling with their own grief or with how to explain death to their child, this book will be a great resource for them. Nothing about the book was difficult to read or understand. In my opinion, the book is also expertly edited because I found no errors.

I think this book would be a great resource for kids dealing with the loss of a loved one. This book does not take a stance on any particular faith and can be valued by readers of all faiths.

The Mirror Box
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

Grief is not commonly addressed in children's lot, so this fills a needed space. Thanks for the informative review!
Samuel Kioko 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Samuel Kioko 4 »

The review has captured crucial information on how grief should be addressed. Though it's cited as a kids' book., adults can draw a lot of lessons from it.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Losing a loved one can be very hard. And a book that teaches how to deal with grief is a great resource to pick up with. This book seems to help someone mourning to recover. Congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Franklin Belden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franklin-belden.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Franklin Belden »

:shock: :shock: Normally children are viewed as beings who forget what they've seen or heard because their minds are growing, but the reverse is true. Thanks for the great expounded review
Priyankan Nayak
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyankan-nayak.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Priyankan Nayak »

As we all know the loss of a loved one is very hard to overcome. A child encountering this kind of loss will always find it harder. This review denotes a way in which the child finds a way to cope and finally learn the truth of death. He has found a way of connecting with his grandfather through the mirrored box. With time everyone learns the way of living.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

Christopher and his grandfather must have had a strong bond and he must have been sad for a while. I can only imagine what the content of the mirror box was.
Paavni Jain
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Paavni Jain »

Your detailed review provides valuable insights into "The Mirror Box" by Wade Warren Bergner. It's commendable that the author addresses the often overlooked topic of grief in children's literature, providing a touching narrative that can resonate with young readers. Your appreciation for the illustrations and the potential for this book to help children process grief is well-highlighted. Your suggestion of turning it into a series with different family members is insightful for creating relatability. The feedback about the cover clarity is constructive, and acknowledging its potential as a resource for parents navigating discussions on grief adds depth to your review. Well done!
Munmun Samanta
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: A Walk in the Twilight
Currently Reading: Kantara
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-munmun-samanta.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books A Second Kiss Goodnight (A Bedtime Story) by Steve William Laible

Post by Munmun Samanta »

The elaborate and insightful review sparks my curiosity to read the book. Wow! what a wonderful book is this. Though I am not a kid I enjoy the book by Wade Warren Bergner: "The Mirror Box". Even I give it to my 11 years old boy to read. He can relate to the story. The illustrations are wonderful and catchy.
Khristine Joy Cortez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Khristine Joy Cortez »

Losing someone that we love is so painful, So treasure the time treasure our love ones for the rest of our life, Thank you for the Great Review.
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Post by Chris Agbara »

"The Mirror Box" is a beautifully illustrated and expertly edited book that delicately addresses the topic of grief for kids. With a touching story about a boy and his grandfather, it skillfully navigates the challenging subject of death, offering a valuable resource for both children and parents. The potential for this book to help young ones process grief earns it a solid 5 out of 5 stars.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Gladis Ratish Kumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gladis-ratish-kumar.html
Latest Review: The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert

Post by Gladis Ratish Kumar »

Exploring the notion of a child's resilience in confronting significant challenges, like coping with the loss of loved ones, is a seldom-discussed subject. The review was commendable, as the reviewer effectively elucidated both the drawbacks and merits of the concept.
Brienna Cooper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91

Post by Brienna Cooper »

Nice review! There’s a reason it’s always so highly noted when children’s media delves into serious and sensitive topics (especially when it’s done particularly well). The balance between doing so in a way a child can understand/comprehend while also not talking down to them is delicate and can be challenging. Based on what I’m seeing, this book seems to be a good example of this. Another strong factor that works in these scenarios (and is present with this book) is engaging creativity. Case in point, I genuinely want to know what the mirror box actually is!
Mudaqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mudaqueen.html
Latest Review: The Reverend Psychopath by Dr Andrew Rynne

Post by Mudaqueen »

I think grief is one of the most underrated concept in life .
We don't really talk about people going through it. But we have to know that it's an essential concept of life to pity and reassure people going through grief to avoid high suicide cases and depressions
Kefa Kirui
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kefa-kirui.html
Latest Review: Critical Habitat by Terrence King

Post by Kefa Kirui »

To treasure the time we spend with loved ones because we never know when we will see them again, will make us close to each other. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Children's Books”