Review of The Mirror Box

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jennifer Shalton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Icon Re: Review of The Mirror Box

Post by Jennifer Shalton »

I agree 100% with your review. After dealing with a loss recently this book was something I wish i had for my babies at the time. You hit the nail on the head. I cannot leave reviews yet, but if I could mine would say something like this. "I got this book on amazon kindle. Let me tell you I was expecting some wish wash normal childrens book. What I actually got was a book my kids and myself even really needed! It was well written easy enough for children to follow but a deep wholesome meaning that pulled at me and could very much help a child going through a unexpected loss. The book offered nothing but good advice and expressions of feelings noone really likes to talk about or have. Also, some good feelings we have with loved ones in the beginning of the book :D. Very much looking foward to reading this over and over with my littles and sharing it with others who are going threw the same thing! " very much give it 5 out of 5. Easy read for the young kids but deals with emotions children must face and the emotions noone wants to talk about. Your review covers all the basics in the best way!
Smrithi Arun
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Grief is a complicated feeling even for adults; I can only imagine how difficult it must be for children to understand. I’m glad the author provided a medium to help them express and process the same. Congrats on the BOTD!
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 87090
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1467%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Kids book papa and Christopher were best friend they pay together, laugh together until one day mommy break the news that papa was no more Christopher jounery of grief to accept
Juliet Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-blessing.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Juliet Blessing »

Your review has intrigued me to look for the book. I really want to know what was in the box. The author has done a good job of highlighting a rarely mentioned topic in children's books.

Code: Select all

Juliet_Blessing
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by Damian Keyes »

Talking to anyone about death is harder, but with a child, it is even harder because you have to break down what it means. I'm glad the author wrote this story that handles a serious topic easily and comfortably. Congratulations to the author for having the BOTD.
DL Gardene
Currently Reading: The Reverend Psychopath
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by DL Gardene »

The Mirror Box

I enjoyed this read simply because it helps to deal with a part of life that tends to stick with us for a while…grief. Although the genre is for children, it was very knowledgeable even for me so it is much appreciated. The Mirror Box can and will in fact help children deal with loss/ grief without leaving them feeling like they’re alone.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

What a beautiful book. It's a very tricky thing to explain death to a young child and books like this can make it possible. The story sounds really touching. Thanks for the amazing review.
Qurat ul ain Wajahat
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Qurat ul ain Wajahat »

I completely agree with your review of "The Mirror Box"! It's wonderful that the book addresses the topic of grief in a way that kids can understand and relate to. The illustrations sound captivating, and I'm sure they add to the overall experience for young readers. It's important for children to learn about and process emotions like grief, and this book seems like a great resource for that. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it! 😊
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 61%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

“The Mirror Box” by Wade Bergner is a story written for kids to help them understand grief. Christopher was very close to his grandfather and his death was very hard for Christopher to handle. While grieving he recalled that his grandfather had given him a mirror box that he told could never be opened. He now wondered what could be inside that was so secretive. One must read the book to find out. As a parent I know my daughters had a hard time understanding death after they lost five great grandparents and a grandfather before they were five and six years old. This book would have really helped explain the loss of a loved one. Very good review.
Last edited by mrlefty0706 on 20 Nov 2023, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.
Qurat ul ain Wajahat
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Qurat ul ain Wajahat »

I completely agree with your review of "The Mirror Box"! It's wonderful that the book addresses the topic of grief in a way that kids can understand and relate to. The illustrations sound captivating, and I'm sure they add to the overall experience for young readers. It's important for children to learn about and process emotions like grief, and this book seems like a great resource for that. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it! 😊📚
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 555
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

The Mirror Box by Wade Warren Bergner seems to hold intriguing elements in its fold enough to generate curiosity among the children to immerse themselves in this fascinating story.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

Christell, you wrote a great review for the book entitled The Mirror Box. I read this very short book. It was a pleasant read that dealt with a difficult topic. I agree with your suggestion, that the idea that this is a book to help a child grieve, should be incorporated into the title so that a parent will pick up the book for that purpose. Have a nice day.
Rahul Singh 29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahul-singh-29.html
Latest Review: Born To Rise by Lorna Blake
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Rahul Singh 29 »

Thanks for nice review. I find "The Mirror Box" to be a beautifully crafted book that sensitively addresses the difficult topic of grief in children. The poignant narrative, coupled with captivating illustrations, offers a valuable resource for young readers navigating the complexities of loss.
Life is a play where we are the actors and the audience, We laugh and cry, love and hate, create and destroy,
We seek to know ourselves and others, to belong and to be free, We accept what we can and change what we must.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I commend the author for this beautiful book that deals with grief and mourning. I am sure the book would help the young readers to process the difficult emotions. Thanks for the insightful review!
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I am fascinated by how this children's book would explain the concept of grief to children. I am intrigued by the mirrored box that was left by Cristopher's grandfather to him. I am interested in learning what the contents of the box are and how this would help Christopher grieve.

Return to “Children's Books”