Review of The Ugly Duckling - Where To?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: Field Guide to Sinisters and Benevolents by Nancy L Vallette

Review of The Ugly Duckling - Where To?

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ugly Duckling - Where To?" by Liora Israeli.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The children's book "The Ugly Duckling - Where To?" was written by Liora Israeli. Liora questions whether the "happy ending" we all know and love from Andersen's "The Ugly Duckling" actually had a happy ending. Through this book, she intends to share her insights into the story with readers of all ages.

Pre-teens and up can enjoy this book. This book was written to teach kids and adults alike how to think critically in order to foster an environment of acceptance in a diverse and multiethnic society. The illustrations were also unique and interesting compared to those in other children's books. The reader is encouraged to participate in the text by answering a series of questions provided throughout the book.

I appreciate the author's reminder that anyone has the potential to undergo an "ugly duckling to swan" transformation. The author also delves into the subject of the treatment of people of different backgrounds in modern societies. I thought it was brilliant how the author worked in her reservations about the ugly duckling tale by having a toucan pose questions to the reader. In this way, the reader can consider the points raised by Toktok the toucan without feeling offended or hostile.

The book had no flaws, in my opinion. Because of its thoughtful content, this book is appropriate for readers of all ages. Readers are encouraged to offer up their own suggestions for a new happy ending in an accompanying exercise.

In my opinion, this book deserves a perfect score of 5 out of 5 stars because it is a fantastic teaching tool that should be used in every classroom. Many will benefit from this engaging book, and some readers may even be persuaded to reconsider their racial prejudices. I found one error and believe the book was professionally edited.

In addition to its educational value, I think every kid should read this book. This book is also meant for adults.

The Ugly Duckling - Where To?
View: on Bookshelves
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you so much for your insightful and positive review of Your review has convinced me that this book is a must-read for people of all ages, especially since it contains an important lesson about acceptance and diversity. I am intrigued by the unique illustrations and the interactive element with the reader that you mentioned. The fact that the book has no flaws and is appropriate for all ages only makes me more excited to give it a read. Thank you for your dedication to finding quality books that deserve recognition. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for your next review!
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

I loved the Ugly Duckling by Andersen. It would be good to hear another persons perspective with a good lesson. I love your review too.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|

Return to “Children's Books”