Review of My Friend Charlie

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Review of My Friend Charlie

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Friend Charlie" by Scott MacDonald.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

We can learn crucial life lessons from anybody or anything; just be observant and open-minded in assessing the outcome. In this children's book, Scott MacDonald shares with readers the lessons they've learned from their dog, Charlie. These lessons border on everyday nuggets of life and living, like how to control our emotions, the benefits of hanging out with people and engaging in teamwork, how to make the best use of every moment available to us, and the need to accommodate others irrespective of their race or social status, among other invaluable insights a child would need to fully develop. Each of the lessons is matched with corresponding illustrations.

What I liked most about this book was the way MacDonald organised it. Each lesson is presented in a simple, short sentence. Alongside the lesson is a beautiful painting of Charlie demonstrating it. Two major things stand out from the above. First, children can easily comprehend the lessons and remember them for a long time. Second, they will find themselves bonding with this cute, likeable puppy named Charlie.

The lessons covered in this book are essential and beneficial to readers of all ages. For example, the lesson on keeping a happy mood concerns all ages because it influences our ability to make friends, engage in teamwork, and actualize our goals. If we lose it, we might even get such lovely pets as puppies and kittens running away from us. As such, I recommend this book to not only readers aged three to ten but also to older readers.

Furthermore, the illustrations are very colourful, and they accurately capture the lessons matched with them. I especially liked the paintings on pages 37 and 38. These illustrations created exceptional memories in me that are still very much alive in my mind's eye, even hours after I finished reading the book. Also, I didn't find any grammatical errors in this book, which shows that it was thoroughly edited.

I don't have anything to complain about in this book. Based on the aforementioned positive aspects, I rate My Friend Charlie: A Book for Young Readers and Dog Lovers five out of five stars. There is no reason to rate it lower.

My Friend Charlie
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
John Kingsley Ken
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-kingsley-ken.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by John Kingsley Ken »

Companionship is understand more to dogs than some humans. A nice review.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

We can learn crucial life lessons from anybody or anything; just be observant and open-minded in assessing the outcome.
That is very true. The things/people around us can bring us life lessons if we know how to see them. Open-mindedness is not easy every time but it is worth it if we hold it. Thank you for your wonderful review, Eze!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

Dogs are amazing and also the best companions. It's therefore not a surprise that they learned something from their dog. This will be helpful to everyone including adults. I'd love to read this book.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Farhan Firoz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Farhan Firoz »

My Friend Charlie: A Book for Young Readers and Dog Lovers" is a heartwarming and insightful book that skillfully imparts valuable life lessons through the lovable character of Charlie.

Return to “Children's Books”