Review of Bosco and the Bees

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: Ten Assholes and a Curmudgeon by Bruce Workman

Review of Bosco and the Bees

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bosco and the Bees" by Cat Ritchie.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Set in a fantasy land called Somewhere, Bosco and the Bees is a fascinating children's book. At the beginning of the book, we are introduced to a fairy, Rowan, who seems disturbed and lost in thoughts about the Queen's coming. On seeing his wife, Dorialle, he tells her that the Queen is coming to hold a naming ceremony for their son. During the ceremony, Rowan and Dorialle announce that their child's name will be Bosco.

The Queen tells the fairies that she will be extending a rule from Fairy Land to Somewhere. The rule is known as the Ten-Year Rule and states that a person will be required to enter into a five-year service period within the Royal Court in Fairy Land if they have not chosen a skill to follow by their tenth year. It may seem as though there are hidden intentions behind the Queen's proclamation. What happens when Bosco becomes interested in bees, especially since fairies try to avoid them?

This book had suspense. I loved this because it made the book thrilling, and I appreciated this because it was nice for a children's book. The author's writing style was splendid, and she carefully chose the words she used to suit the target audience. The book contains comical scenes; children will enjoy this, especially the scene where Mica, Bosco's friend, is chased by a bee.

If there's anything I cannot fail to mention, it's the fact that Cat Ritchie tried to show that people should not be disliked because they fall into a particular group. Rowan tries to show Bosco that not all humans are terrifying by taking him to see a trusted and kind human. I believe parents can learn from this, too, as it will help reduce the level of discrimination in today's world. The book was educative; children will learn a lot about pollination and the importance of bees by reading this book.

There was no aspect of the book that I did not like, and I especially appreciated the fact that the book contained no errors. I would have appreciated the book better if the author had included pictures in the book; however, this did not affect my satisfaction with the book. Since the book contained several positive aspects and I found no reason to deduct a star from my rating, I rate the book five out of five stars. I recommend the book to children between 6 and 13 who love fantasy books.

Bosco and the Bees
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I wonder what's this hidden intention of the Queen's proclamation. Will Bosco be much affected by it? I like to follow the story. Your review is engaging, Chris!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

I loved the review. The mention of suspense and thrill in a children's book should be exciting to read to our children.

Return to “Children's Books”