Review of The Eternal Tree

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ebele Ekelobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Review of The Eternal Tree

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Eternal Tree" by Gregg Cope Millar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Eternal Tree chronicles the adventures of Iggy and his four friends. Iggy is a twelve-year-old boy with an overactive imagination. He and his friends Dana, Bonnie, Gez, and Smiffy get to go on a lot of different adventures that involve bicycle racing and tree climbing. They decide to go on a tour of a castle and the observatory surrounding it, and while on this tour, they meet an older man who tells them about an ancient forest in the vicinity of the castle with plenty of tall trees. The friends are intrigued by the prospect of climbing trees taller than they have ever climbed, and they decide to ditch their tour and search for the forest. They find the forest, and deep in it, they find a huge tree that looks seemingly impossible to climb. A survey of the surroundings of the tree leads to an extraordinary experience. The tree turns out to be a deep pathway into the past. It takes them right into the middle of World War II. It further takes them back in time to the Normic War, and after almost getting killed by the soldiers, the kids leap even further into millions of years in the past when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth. After having a near-death encounter with a dinosaur, the kids realise that for them to return to the present, one of them will have to be left behind.

I liked the straightforward and easy-to-understand language used in the book. I also enjoyed how one of the most interesting topics in the field of science, which is the paradox of time, was used to create a perfectly blended story with the right amount of humour and suspense. I also loved the buildup to the twist at the end of the story; the author sure did an excellent job keeping the readers at the edge of their seats till the very last chapter of the book.

Even though it is a children’s book and it is fiction, I don't take satisfaction in the fact that some of the events in this book appear unrealistic. I believe the author wasn’t really able to capture how the minds of children work correctly. It seems to me that teenagers will better relate to this story because they will better understand the concept of war and the magnitude of magic in this book. Other than the aforestated, I have no other complaints.

The Eternal Tree by Greg Cope Millar was professionally edited. I found just one grammatical error in the course of reading this book. However, owing to the unrealistic nature of some events in the book, which I didn't really appreciate, and the fact that some events in the book, such as World War II, the Normic War, etc., may be slightly beyond children’s comprehension, I have decided to rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to children over the age of seven who are interested in science fiction and mystery stories. Readers who love to read books that ignite their imagination will also enjoy this book.

The Eternal Tree
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I love your detailed and honest review. I was intrigued by your dislike of how there were components that seemed unrealistic. That is a pet peeve of mine too.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

Once I read about going into the forest and the tree, I knew there was something sinister. I wonder who will be left behind, though. I realized that you mentioned that the book's characters would be better if portrayed as teenagers, and if it appears so, I hope the author can do something about it.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|

Return to “Children's Books”