Review of Sssnake on a Ssskate?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Review of Sssnake on a Ssskate?

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sssnake on a Ssskate?" by Steven V. LeShay.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Kids love sound effects. Sssnake on a Ssskate? by Steven V. LeShay is a book full of sound effects. Suzie is a girl who is trying to get a good night’s sleep when a snake on a skate comes into her room. Her father comes in as well when he hears the snake. They want to get the snake to leave without hurting it, so they come up with a cunning and resourceful plan. What was their plan? Did the snake leave? Check out Sssnake on a Ssskate? to find out!

I appreciated the silliness of the story. Having a skating snake in your room is funny enough for young children, but I also liked the picture of Suzie’s father running into her room with a rake to get the snake out. In the beginning, this book starts with a parental note explaining sibilance, which is the noise created by repeated S sounds. It makes a hiss. Most of the words in the story that start with the letter S have more than one S in a row. I appreciated the note explaining to parents how to read this book because it’s clearly meant to be read aloud to a young child. Part of the fun of the story is the way that it is read with sibilance. I liked how the author explained this to the parents before starting the story to make sure the children get the most out of the book as possible.

The only downside I found was that every time the snake was mentioned in the story, it always ended with a question mark. I understand that it was probably meant to highlight how unusual it was to have a snake on a skateboard. However, I found it distracting when it showed up in the middle of a sentence.

I give Sssnake on a Ssskate? a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. It was exceptionally well edited because I found no errors. The question marks mentioned earlier were clearly an intentional choice of style by the author and not serious enough to reduce a star. It was creative, funny, and fun to read out loud.

I recommend this book to young children who like sound effects and animals. This book can be used as a way to talk about other words that contain the S sound, so it opens children up to more phonemic awareness. Sssnake on a Ssskate? is a great story!

Sssnake on a Ssskate?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for your excellent review It was great to read your insight into the story, and I appreciate that you took the time to note the silliness and fun that children would enjoy. I also thought it was great that the author took the time to include information for parents on how best to read the book aloud and get the most out of the sibilant sounds. While it's good to know about the repetitive S's for parents beforehand, it's the snake on the skate that will have young readers and listeners giggling. And it's wonderful to hear that the book was exceptionally well edited, making it an enjoyable experience overall. Your review has definitely made me want to check out Sssnake on a Ssskate? and I am excited to recommend it to the young children in my life. Thank you again for your thoughtful review.
Alexiss Ramirez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alexiss Ramirez »

This was such a great book . It was silly and very engaging. It was very enjoyable to read but also read to my son
Last edited by Alexiss Ramirez on 22 May 2023, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
James Williams Uzo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-u.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by James Williams Uzo »

Young children who like sound effects and animals will have a great time reading this book. You delivered a great review. Well done.
Bethany Kroeger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethany-kroeger.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Bethany Kroeger »

This looks like such a cute book and you're correct, children do love sound effects! I also like the fact that the author gave examples of how parents could read the book with their children to have them get the most out of it! Very thorough review, thank you!
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I love reading every paragraph of your review. Sssnake on a Ssskate? is such an adorable story. I know my nephews and niece will have fun reading this book. You did a marvelous job writing a compelling review.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

I'd love to read about Suzie's reaction when she saw a sssnake on a sssskate in her room. Most people kill snakes or run on encountering a snake. This will be a good lesson for children on how to care for animals.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Josna_thomas

Post by Josna_thomas »

"Sssnake on a Ssskate?" Was a nice books to read for children. Children can understand the story in a simple way
Steven V. LeShay has other books like this in which the children can get alot of books to read and in this story most of the people afraid of snake and they try to kill it but in this they got a plan and didn't hurt the snake and I loved the story very much
I am was looking for a nice story I got this I loved it, you guys also have to read it it very interesting and funny story. I love the way the narrator presented the story
Josna_thomas

Post by Josna_thomas »

"Sssnake on a Ssskate?" Was a nice books to read for children. Children can understand the story in a simple way
Steven V. LeShay has other books like this in which the children can get alot of books to read and in this story most of the people afraid of snake and they try to kill it but in this they got a plan and didn't hurt the snake and I loved the story very much
I am was looking for a nice story I got this I loved it, you guys also have to read it it very interesting and funny story. I love the way the narrator presented the story
Seetha E
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: From My Soul to Yours – The Poem Journeys of a Mystic Mind by Christian Howard

Post by Seetha E »

The way a story is presented to the kid makes it increasingly accepted and loved. Here is a nice and different way of presenting a much dreaded, creepy-crawly-a snake to a kid. Generally, the word snake would mean alarm bells for me. But sssnakes on ssskates made me smile. Nice review. Let alone recommending this book young ones, you have made me want to read it too.:)

Return to “Children's Books”