Review of Duncan the Traveling Monkey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: My Hope for Racial Harmony In America by Richard Gordon

Review of Duncan the Traveling Monkey

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Duncan the Traveling Monkey" by Debbie Ferreira.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Children will enjoy reading Debbie Ferreira's book titled "Duncan the Travelling Monkey." Young readers will gain a wealth of knowledge about Hawaii from the adventures of Duncan the monkey tourist as he travels to see his friend Aaron in this book.

The author ensured that the reader would remain interested in the book by giving it a rhyme scheme. The illustrations are another element that is sure to pique the interest of a younger reader. In addition, the writing is straightforward, and most paragraphs on every other page consist mostly of only two sentences. Even posting about Duncan's exploits on social media while he's on vacation in Hawaii is covered in this book. In addition to pictures for young readers to colour, there are also engaging activities for them to complete.

The fact that the book is brief and contains only a small amount of text on each page is something that appeals to me in a book meant for young readers. The rhymes were fun to read, and the illustrations are very interesting and entertaining to look at. Additionally, I like that this book teaches a child about Hawaii; in fact, while reading it, I picked up a few new facts about the state myself. The fact that the author encourages readers to use sunscreen by having the main character use it is something that I found very appealing.

I give this book a perfect score of 5 out of 5 stars. This book did not have a single aspect that I did not enjoy. My opinion is that this book is both educational for children and entertaining to read. The fact that there are pictures to colour in as well as activities that can be done after reading the book made me appreciate it even more. In addition, I was unable to locate any mistakes, leading me to believe that the book has been edited to perfection.

I would recommend this book to younger readers who are interested in expanding their knowledge of the world.

Duncan the Traveling Monkey
View: on Bookshelves
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It has a popping and animated cover page.
It sounds like the author did an amazing job. Who wouldn't like to know Hawaii with Duncun?
I would like to while coloring, this looks fun.
Great review Christell!
James Williams Uzo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-u.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by James Williams Uzo »

I'm interested in expanding my knowledge of the world so I'll definitely add this to my library.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I immediately fell in love with the book cover. With a catchy rhyme scheme and a playful, interactive story, I know I'll have fun reading this book with my niece and nephews. It was a pleasure to read your review!
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for writing such an informative and thoughtful review. Your review was particularly helpful in understanding what makes this book fun and educational for younger readers. Your attention to detail and obvious enthusiasm are both really appreciated. The fact that you would recommend it to younger readers only solidifies my desire to share this book with the children in my life. I'm looking forward to reading more of your reviews.

Return to “Children's Books”