My Favorite Children's Classic

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Boyko Ovcharov
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Boyko Ovcharov
Favorite Book: The Proximity of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1419
fav_author_id: 33385

Re: My Favorite Children's Classic

Post by Boyko Ovcharov »

Alice in Wonderland &Treasure Island come to mind when mentioning children's classic.
PacerMac88
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pacermac88.html

Post by PacerMac88 »

Winnie the Pooh and Calvin and Hobbes were definitely favourites.
the biblophile

Post by the biblophile »

my favorite is Wind In the Willows by Kenneth Graham.
SerendipityThree
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipitythree.html

Post by SerendipityThree »

Of all the children's classic story lines, the series that have impacted me the most would be Grimm's Fairytales (or Fairytales by the Grimm Brothers). These tales brought me countless hours of enjoyment as a child and today still remain a heartfelt favorite. These simple stories approach complex issues such as morals and ethics, all done in a way that is palatable to young readers, has truly set them in an indisputable category of their own. They are very much left to be both discovered and appreciated by the reader, leaving one thinking about the outcome long after the stories have ended. Even today, as Hollywood remakes many of these old classics from the Grimm Brothers, the characters remain captivating, covering the full gamut of entrancing emotions from love to hate and everything in between. If I had to pass on a set to the next generation, it would be these very fairy tales.
charmer
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmer.html

Post by charmer »

I devoured books in my youth, took a break through college with all of our textbook reading we had to do and now recently have started to plow through books again. I love bonding with my 2 year old over books that I read or were read to me as a child. Our current favorites are books by Sandra Boynton and Dr. Seuss
TMR-Virtual Oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tmr-virtual-oracle.html

Post by TMR-Virtual Oracle »

I agree with the comment about The Little House on the Prairie series, but I must also include Charlotte's Web, by E.B. White or The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson Burnett and Phyllis Bixler for someone looking for a single read. As for another series, I would include The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter, which is a total of 23 books I believe. Magical.
tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Mister Sleepy by Jane Alice

Post by tjportugal »

I would say The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. I'm about to start reading Winnie the Pooh. Let's see which one is the best.
To read or not to read? That's not even a question!
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

rssllue wrote: 27 Nov 2015, 21:25 Little House on the Prarie and The Chronicles of Narnia would be my top two to pass on. Anne of Avonlea as well! :D
I totally agree on the Chronicles of Narnia. It takes a while to read them all, but well worth it! And reading them in order helps too.
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

TMR-Virtual Oracle wrote: 24 Nov 2016, 12:50 I agree with the comment about The Little House on the Prairie series, but I must also include Charlotte's Web, by E.B. White or The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson Burnett and Phyllis Bixler for someone looking for a single read. As for another series, I would include The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter, which is a total of 23 books I believe. Magical.
I really loved the Secret Garden and look forward to sharing it with my granddaughter when she is old enough.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

Anne of Green Gables.
Awesomeliker
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awesomeliker.html
Latest Review: The Demon of the Well by James B. Hendricks

Post by Awesomeliker »

Definitely Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. In fact I'm currently re-reading both!!
Live your life in a way that you won't look back and regret things :D
rifieka
Currently Reading: 10 Steps To Earning Awesome Grades
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rifieka.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant

Post by rifieka »

PacerMac88 wrote: 29 Aug 2016, 21:05 Winnie the Pooh and Calvin and Hobbes were definitely favourites.
Of course, Calvin and Hobbes should be everyone's favorite. I mean Calvin is the dream revolutionary mind of every kid. I still wish I had a brain like him. But I can still settle for sitting all day, reading the bizarre things he says. Also there's Remembering Farley. That is also probably the highlight of my elementary school years. Nancy Drew brought out the detective in me that goes on to snoop in my mom's bag. I also wished I was one of Nancy Drew's friend because they had much more fun and adventure than I did sitting in my school library, trying to zone out of the brutal reality that I have to deal with math, which is next period. :cry:
Bridgetbruso99
Currently Reading: MY FRIEND Marilyn
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgetbruso99.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Bridgetbruso99 »

The Babysitter's Club by Anne M Martin. I have to say these hold up good and have been very helpful for me since becoming a parent lol. There are so many of the books you don't get bored, and with so many characters to choose from it gives you a wide variety too. There isn't a BSC member I don't like, but some I prefer more than others. I wish I could get paid to just read and review BSC books it would be my dream job and I would be really good at it too!
Avonlea
Favorite Book: Sense and Sensibility
Currently Reading: The Power of a Positive No
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avonlea.html
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Post by Avonlea »

My favourite children’s classic is definitely Anne of Green Gables by L M Montgomery. However, Heidi by Johanna Spyri comes in at a close second place. Both of these books conjure up many fond memories of reading when I was young.

Another classic book I have extremely fond memories of is Little Old Mrs Pepperpot by Alf Proysen. When I was very young, and my parents were still reading me short bedtime stories, this collection of stories was my favourite. I always wanted to eat a big, tall pile of pancakes just like Mr Pepperpot gets to eat at the end of the first short story. I kept a copy of this book and shared it with my son when he was young. It was a firm favourite of his too.
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

My absolute favourites are Charlotte's Web, Little House Series and A Little Princess. Charlotte's Web was amazing. But I felt like the ending was too heavy. I don't know whether kids would be able to tolerate such pain.

Return to “Children's Books”