Review of Dust Dragons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Review of Dust Dragons

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dust Dragons" by Steven Reutiman.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The dragon friends, Thunder, Thread, and Speck, are set to return to the Mountain of Peace, a territory where dragons are secured from the threats of aggressive elements. On their way to the Mountain of Peace, these friends are faced with the very dangerous elements they are trying to escape from. Now, they must put their abilities to good use or risk falling prey.

The story was well organised, and the narration was fluid. The opening sentences hooked me immediately: a gripping narration of excited kids waiting for treats (another interesting story) from Grandpa. The little suspense and action sprinkled here and there sustained this initial pull.

What impressed me most were the lessons in this story. Among other things, Steven Reutiman provided the right context that illustrated what bravery entails and how it builds up, using the character Speck. Speck's awakening and journey to self-realisation are inspirational.

I was pleased by the amount of attention given to the illustrations. The paintings are very bright, much like a 1080p resolution movie, and with the way they correctly captured memorable moments in the story, I don't think any child would forget this story in a hurry. Some word choices created a sort of musical effect, like "teeny tiny."

Children will get to learn some new words like slosh, slobber, and bonk. Concerning the editing, I am excited to note that this book was thoroughly edited; I didn't find any grammatical errors in it. Considering all these, I would say that readers aged four to ten will have a great time with this book.

However, I have two issues with this book. I think the word "thunder" is too scary to use as the name of a character in a children's story. Also, I have no idea what role that nurse introduced at the beginning of the story served. It wasn't even clear if Grandpa was at home or in the hospital. Since this character doesn't have any relevance to the storyline, I think its removal is better, at least to prevent vague contexts.

I am pleased to rate Dust Dragons five out of five stars because of the gripping storyline, high-end illustrations, and invaluable lessons it teaches. The concerns I pointed out are not serious enough to warrant the deduction of any stars from the rating.

Dust Dragons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
John Kingsley Ken
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-kingsley-ken.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by John Kingsley Ken »

I like stories about dragons and supernatural happenings, such frictional novels intrigues me.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

This is the second review I've read today that involves dragons. As a children's book, this is an interesting book that will enhance their thoughts. I would buy this book for my sister.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Aji Kurnia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Aji Kurnia »

I love stories about dragons, mythical creatures and supernatural events that remind me of my curious childhood. Such fictional novels intrigues me to read
Last edited by Aji Kurnia on 12 Jun 2023, 03:57, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Children's Books”